News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Misc. Parks and Greenspace Projects

There are some nice parks to go hiking (Or Biking) around town that a lot of people don't know about. Loise Hole in the NW end by Big Lake , But north of Stoney Plain you have Chicakoo Lake. (been years since I've been there.)

I don't think it's close enough to most things right now. Pretty far from CBD for a lunch visit. Residential density in that area isn't huge (hat at 5 now?), and that area has a good share of temporary ravine residents that scares off single girls I know. When I lived at the Hendrix, everyone loved using that park (high level park i think it's called?) with the ravine stairs and access across the river and into the valley. But I think people felt safer there than other areas.

I did some charity work with a houselessness compassion group once and that part of the river valley was a common place to visit to find tents/shelters.

Beautiful park though. I think if the quarters tower happens and a few other projects, it'll get popular!

Here is a few more of Louise McKinney Park and the Shumka stage and oval lawn area. I would love to be able to sit in a lawn chair and watch some local musicians or dance troupes perform here on a beautiful spring/summer/fall afternoon or evening.
IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1583.JPGIMG_1582.JPGIMG_1584.JPGIMG_1586.JPGIMG_1587.JPGIMG_1589.JPGIMG_1591.JPGIMG_1592.JPGIMG_1593.JPGIMG_1594.JPGIMG_1595.JPGIMG_1596.JPGIMG_1599.JPG

^ Beautiful! Hopefully one day soon.
Also, it's been so long since people could flow through there - to get the SUP in the parks North/South of the river bank and pedestrian segment of Tawatina flowing again by this Fall (or sooner) will be the Bee's knees!

Why did they bother to install that tiny bridge, it looks stupid by itself. They should redirect some of the drainage pipes from the sewers above to allow rain water to flow down through the park when it rains.

It's quite a beautiful bridge and not 'stupid' or 'by itself'.

If I recall correctly, there was a plan to have koi pond at one point.

Look at those numbers!
---

City highlights importance of parks and open spaces​

April 22, 2021

Edmonton's parks and open spaces are part of our city's identity. Over the last year, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, our parks have offered us a safe and healthy way to connect with the people we care about, connect with nature and stay active.

Residents came out in droves to city parks as a safe escape during the COVID-19 pandemic. Compared to 2019, many river valley parks and trail systems saw a 100 per cent increase in users.​
  • The shared pathway on River Valley Road saw 199,196 users from June to September, 2020, compared to 91,948 during the same time frame in 2019.
  • The Rossdale Trail or shared pathway saw 117,740 users from June to September, 2020, compared to 60,207 during the same time frame in 2019.
  • The Gold Bar Trail saw 196,958 users from June to September, 2020, compared to 53,744 during the same time frame in 2019.

As our City grows to eventually welcome two million residents, the demand for parks and open spaces will only increase. That is why we are planning for the future, today. During the 2021 construction season, the City will renew Confederation District Park, Emily Murphy Park, Gold Bar Park, Hermitage Park and Glengarry District Park. The City will also build or renew 14 playgrounds and plant six thousand trees through the Urban Tree Canopy Expansion Project. The City is planning for future parks, including Warehouse Campus Park, a park that will provide a much-needed urban green space to address the needs of current and future downtown residents, students, workers and visitors to our downtown.

2021 Naturalization: 150 hectares of stormwater management facility land
Alongside plans for future parks, the City is also planning the future of naturalized spaces in Edmonton. This year, 150 hectares of land around stormwater management facilities throughout the City will begin their conversion to naturalized sites. In these areas specifically, naturalization helps protect the banks of stormwater management facilities, like wet ponds, from erosion and captures rainwater. It also reduces stormwater runoff and reduces the risk of flooding.

Naturalization increases habitat and food sources for plants, birds, wildlife and beneficial pollinators, like bees and butterflies, and increases areas for planting trees and shrubs which in turn provide benefits to residents such as windbreaks, shade and beauty.

2021 parks and open space service levels
Our approach to service levels this season will be improved compared to early summer 2020 when the City faced sudden impacts of the pandemic. With these adjustments, although they are not the same as pre-pandemic levels, crews are working within allocated resources for this year.

Turf maintenance throughout parks will be completed on a 10-14 day schedule, except for premier parks and sports fields which will continue to be maintained on their 7-10 day cycle. At the start of last year, as a result of the pandemic, turf was maintained in parks on a 21-day cycle, before service levels were increased to a 14-day cycle in July.

Edmontonians showed their community spirit last year by mowing grass in areas with longer grass. However, for safety reasons the City does not encourage the public to mow City-owned parks. There are several other ways residents can get involved in programs that support Edmonton’s natural environment and beautification of green spaces.

Crews are also sweeping trails to remove any gravel, sand or debris. These trails will receive periodic sweeping during the year if there is too much debris or sand. For the summer months, litter will be collected from garbage cans located along trails twice per week.

For a complete breakdown of service levels for parks and open spaces, including trails, outdoor City maintained sports facilities such as ball diamonds and running tracks, turf, horticulture shrub beds, and weed control, visit edmonton.ca/ParkCare.

Parks are a treasured and vital resource for Edmontonians. Those enjoying our parks and open spaces this spring and summer are reminded to spread out, make use of the many parks and amenities available in your communities and throughout the City, and follow all COVID-19 related restrictions and requirements.​

For more information:
Building Edmonton: building.edmonton.ca
Have you ever wondered what type of work goes into planning a city park? For more information, check out our latest Transforming Edmonton blog.
Service levels: edmonton.ca/ParkCare
Naturalization: edmonton.ca/Naturalization

Media contacts:
For park construction and renewals:
Lindsay Harvey
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-995-7968

For parks and open space service levels:
Zak Fairbrother
Communications Coordinator
Communications and Engagement
780-868-2090​

Am i the only one here who loves Dubai's Hights. Just imagine in near future we were able to grow trees in desert like dubai. If we transform desert into tall skyscraper building then we can also transform a desert into Oak trees. First we can experiment it in a well control environment, if successful then on large
Oh fer sure bahd

Permit Type
Major Development Permit
Permit Class
Class B
Permit Date
Jun 09, 2021
Status
Approved
Description of Development
To construct exterior alterations and add accessory Outdoor Participant Recreation Service to a Public Park (installing a 18-hole Disk Golf Course, Hermitage Park).
Address
2115 - HERMITAGE ROAD NW

Permit Type
Major Development Permit
Permit Class
Class B
Permit Date
Jun 09, 2021
Status
Approved
Description of Development
To construct exterior alterations and add accessory Outdoor Participant Recreation Service to a Public Park (installing a 18-hole Disk Golf Course, Hermitage Park).
Address
2115 - HERMITAGE ROAD NW
Whoa! Not complaining about this, but I wish they would consider doing this in Laurier or Terwillegar park! Though in the latter, some off leash dogs might pick up your frisbee for you…! :)

Back