News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

LRT Safety

I'd say most downtown underground stations, maybe Coliseum
Those would be the easiest- the original Central-Belvedere Stations were built with fare collectors booths and turnstiles in the first place, later replaced with automatic turnstiles, before Edmonton Transit moved to the barrier free Proof of Payment collection we have today. Bay and Corona I suspect with opened with POP, but were designed around the earlier concepts of having fare control.
The original Clareview was going to have the bus terminal in the fare paid zone, like Toronto, but POP came quickly after it's opening.

Century Park, Southgate, Belvedere, and Clareview could probably be fitted, however, the overpasses can see non-ETS pedestrian use which would make a fare gate set up a bit more difficult, although maybe you just make the decision to prioritize ETS users over pedestrians. Clareview would be a little bit tougher since transit users need to make transfers through the station just between buses.

Best news of the day
"Police Chief Dale McFee said more patrols will be dispatched downtown by next week after a slew of incidents in the past 24 hours, including two suspicious deaths, aggravated assaults and a violent stabbing in Bay LRT station."

I don't think the solutions are sufficient. (1) The Peace Officers with a few more powers is insufficient - they need to be Police Officers and have the power to arrest. (2) Only paid fares should be admitted onto an LRT platform - all of them. (3) Trains should be "shortened" in non peak hours to compress travellers onto 2 or maybe 3 trains to allow management of travellers (only allow first 2 trains to have doors opened and only use 3rd train when demand warrants it. Packed trains offer better sense of security than trains running mostly empty with troublemakers. This approach may also reduce the work effort for ETS security.

I'm sorry, but spending millions on fare gates while letting homeless people rove downtown with nowhere to go is a waste of money. FIX THE REAL PROBLEM!

Investments in making transit a great alternative transportation method, shouldn't ever be seen as a waste of money.
Agreed. That's why money for transit shouldn't be used to install fare gates to keep homeless people out of stations. It should be used to improve service and reliability.

Social disorder is the responsibility of the province and the City should continue to ask them to step up.

Transit funding absolutely should be used to install fare gates. It's 2022, and the fact we still have a honour system in a city of close to a million is a joke (probably over a million now).

Our LRT system should'nt be a homeless shelter, and we need to stop this nonsense that it's cruel or inhumane to keep non-payers from using and ABUSING the system in place

We have programs in place to help those who need cheaper passes and tickets to use the system.

Last edited:

Back