News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT Safety

I don't have hard numbers, but at Council meeting today it was reported that all modes of public transportation usage are up 20 to 25% over last year at this time and this past week bus numbers are at 106% of where they are normally - a general reflection of improved safety.

As an aside, it was also reported there are more downtown public events going on in 2023 compared to pre pandemic levels (ice district helping with that and Churchill has been pretty busy).
As well, downtown stakeholders are reporting a better, cleaner environment.
ETSAB publishes the ETS branch highlight reports, which contain ridership recovery numbers:

What does this have to do with LRT safety?
The LRT is safer? TBH, I never feel very safe or comfortable on AHD, but then I don't use it much so there is a lack of familiarity.

Probably a similar feeling to those who occasionally use LRT only for special events.

A lot of people were over reacting to the accidents with the new LRT saying they should put gates and bells everywhere etc. People will get used to it The AHD has been open for years and people are still running into the infrastructure. You can’t fix stupid.

The downtown stations were originally designed for proof of payment with fare kiosks at the entrances to the platforms.

I'm not sure how widespread it was or how long they were there for, but for a period of time Churchill, and perhaps some other stations, had turnstiles as well. These photos are at the ERRS Archive.
Screenshot_20230620-122818_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20230620-122751_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20230620-122649_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20230620-122850_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20230620-122919_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20230620-122940_Drive.jpg

Bonus pictures of a ticket agent in action, and a ticket agent booth at Belvedere (1979).
Screenshot_20230620-123028_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20230620-123335_Drive.jpg

EDIT: I am digging through the Edmonton Journal archive. I still can't find when the turnstiles were removed, but it looks like they were at least at the underground stations (Belvedere is a possibility but the article mentioning it was unclear), and there were two kinds: Free-moving turnstiles for those with transfers and passes, and locked turnstiles that riders inserted coins into, which would then unlock and print a ticket. The turnstiles were introduced with the Proof-of-Payment system that replaced ticket agents - although agents remained for a period of time during the transition.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how widespread it was or how long they were there for, but for a period of time Churchill, and perhaps some other stations, had turnstiles as well. These photos are at the ERRS Archive.
View attachment 486707View attachment 486706View attachment 486705View attachment 486708View attachment 486709View attachment 486710

Bonus pictures of a ticket agent in action, and a ticket agent booth at Belvedere (1979).
View attachment 486711View attachment 486712

EDIT: I am digging through the Edmonton Journal archive. I still can't find when the turnstiles were removed, but it looks like they were at least at the underground stations (Belvedere is a possibility but the article mentioning it was unclear), and there were two kinds: Free-moving turnstiles for those with transfers and passes, and locked turnstiles that riders inserted coins into, which would then unlock and print a ticket. The turnstiles were introduced with the Proof-of-Payment system that replaced ticket agents - although agents remained for a period of time during the transition.
I forgot about those till the photos were posted. and then it came screaming back.

View attachment 486707View attachment 486706View attachment 486705View attachment 486708View attachment 486709View attachment 486710

View attachment 486711View attachment 486712

A lot of things have happened to the city, transit and downtown LRT over the years. I recall a period of time when it was free downtown during mid day to encourage more use.

Maybe the turnstiles were removed in anticipation of or to facilitate that. Obviously, the city was a lot smaller when the LRT first started, so maybe it was felt they were not needed at that point, but I feel they are now.

Maybe the turnstiles were removed in anticipation of or to facilitate that.
I don't think so; if I recall correctly, one of the articles I found mentioned people still putting money into the turnstiles even if they were staying within the free zone, because they were unaware of it.

I had thought they were not around by then, but that was a long time ago and I don't recall exactly.

That free zone, I think it was in the early 1990's, was only for several downtown LRT stations, so people would still have to pay if they went outside the zone.

Yes, I could see how it could easily get confusing if you were behind someone who paid, because they were going outside the zone, but not realizing you assumed you had to also, even though you didn't.

I had thought they were not around by then, but that was a long time ago and I don't recall exactly.

That free zone, I think it was in the early 1990's, was only for several downtown LRT stations, so people would still have to pay if they went outside the zone.

Yes, I could see how it could easily get confusing if you were behind someone who paid, because they were going outside the zone, but not realizing you assumed you had to also, even though you didn't.
See the second last paragraph.
Turnstile.PNG

Thanks for all the information - good article. I was not downtown much at that time, but I remember the free zone from later.

So as per the last part, the cheap decals that didn't stand out or were not well placed, which led to some of the confusion.

As always, it comes down to good implementation, some things never change.

Back