News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

LRT Expansion Planning

I always thought 118th that would be a perfect crosstown route. Tons of employment in the West end, Cut through Blatchford underground, densify 118th Ave. between 97th St. and 82nd, and continuing all the way to Beverly and rundle. Add in a circular route from Jasper Avenue to 124th St. connecting to 118th crosstown to 82nd St And back to jasper.

Personally I'd like to have 118 Ave run E-W from Beverly to 178 St as a true crosstown route.
However, this means it will cut through Blatchford and I highly doubt the city wants to go down that road (so to speak).

Personally I'd like to have 118 Ave run E-W from Beverly to 178 St as a true crosstown route.
However, this means it will cut through Blatchford and I highly doubt the city wants to go down that road (so to speak).
Well ... there is the Yellowhead meant to do just that and why it is being converted to a Freeway.

Well if I'm not mistaken we still need a corridor through the city for cargo.
118th is all residential with some small commercial from Beverly to 97 Street. I doubt expanding it by adding an additional or faster traffic flow will get an ounce of support from the many communities along that route let alone carving a major road through Blatchford. Particularly given that the communities lobbied to slow down traffic, remove the underpass at the Coliseum to link the communities better which means a new station at grade. As for cargo - maybe Amazon will use drones and the trucks will be on a truck route which is the Yellowhead and where they should be.

You know I was referring to Yellowhead not 118ave? Yellowhead is the transportation corridor that does and will continue to accomodate all the semi's moving goods east/west in this side of the city.

Someone posted this map in the RMTransit Discord server. It shows what the LRT system will look like once the currently planned expansions are completed (thus excluding the regional connections and the most likely cancelled centre line). So, it's a great visual for what our system will hopefully look like in the next couple of decades :)
LRT future map.jpg

Someone posted this map in the RMTransit Discord server. It shows what the LRT system will look like once the currently planned expansions are completed (thus excluding the regional connections and the most likely cancelled centre line). So, it's a great visual for what our system will hopefully look like in the next couple of decades :)
View attachment 357847
The base system that Edmonton is building is great and we've definitely come far, but I hope that this isn't all that we get in the next 20 years. Imo there's more that can be done in terms of crosstown lines and linking in more of the central area of the city.

The base system that Edmonton is building is great and we've definitely come far, but I hope that this isn't all that we get in the next 20 years. Imo there's more that can be done in terms of crosstown lines and linking in more of the central area of the city.
If money were no object I think I would like the festival line to run over the Menzies bridge to University and then branch off underground to follow Whyte until Bonnie Doon, after which it could run on the surface to Sherwood Park.

I'd like to see the line to run as close to Whyte as possible (as opposed to some parallel avenue) and it doesn't make sense to build yet another bridge across the river immediately adjacent to the existing LRT bridge and the high level.

Either way, a central circulator is a must IMHO.

I think it will take a lot of planning for the Central Circulator. Many of the houses and other buildings are heritage sites.. Also, there are many trees on Whyte. While the location of the bridge across the North Saskatchewan is up for debate, I was thinking of something like this:

(1) The Central Circulator starts at Whyte and 83 Street (at the centre of the street). If there's a shortage of space on Whyte, the South Service Road can be eliminated to become part of Whyte. The first stop is at 91 Street (Gaboury Station).

(2) The line continues west across Mill Creek (new bridge), The upward slope of Whyte will allow the line to go underground (at 96 Street). Tunnelling could start at 97 Street, as the line goes west.

(3) The next stop (Strathcona) could be built at between 101 and 102 Street (about 160 metres between blocks). The entrances could be on the sides of 101 and 102 Streets, or in the middle of Whyte Avenue (like the proposed Griesbach station). This stop would also be in close proximity to the Gondola and proposed HSR station.

(4) The line can continue west to the next station at 106/107 Street (Garneau). The station would be in close proximity to the South Park apartments and other high density locations.

(5) The line can continue west and turn north at 112 Street and emerge north of 84 Avenue. A possible station at Health Sciences.

I'm not sure of the direction from here.

If money were no object I think I would like the festival line to run over the Menzies bridge to University and then branch off underground to follow Whyte until Bonnie Doon, after which it could run on the surface to Sherwood Park.

I'd like to see the line to run as close to Whyte as possible (as opposed to some parallel avenue) and it doesn't make sense to build yet another bridge across the river immediately adjacent to the existing LRT bridge and the high level.

Either way, a central circulator is a must IMHO.
I'd also see an underground extension of the Capital/Metro under Jasper, crossing Oliver and ending in a connection with VLW on Stony Plain Rd/124 st. I'dmake it the end point of Metro Line, with Energy and Capital lines crossing the river.

I think it will take a lot of planning for the Central Circulator. Many of the houses and other buildings are heritage sites.. Also, there are many trees on Whyte. While the location of the bridge across the North Saskatchewan is up for debate, I was thinking of something like this:

(1) The Central Circulator starts at Whyte and 83 Street (at the centre of the street). If there's a shortage of space on Whyte, the South Service Road can be eliminated to become part of Whyte. The first stop is at 91 Street (Gaboury Station).

(2) The line continues west across Mill Creek (new bridge), The upward slope of Whyte will allow the line to go underground (at 96 Street). Tunnelling could start at 97 Street, as the line goes west.

(3) The next stop (Strathcona) could be built at between 101 and 102 Street (about 160 metres between blocks). The entrances could be on the sides of 101 and 102 Streets, or in the middle of Whyte Avenue (like the proposed Griesbach station). This stop would also be in close proximity to the Gondola and proposed HSR station.

(4) The line can continue west to the next station at 106/107 Street (Garneau). The station would be in close proximity to the South Park apartments and other high density locations.

(5) The line can continue west and turn north at 112 Street and emerge north of 84 Avenue. A possible station at Health Sciences.

I'm not sure of the direction from here.
Make it a high floor line, resurface it right after 112 st and connect the lines at Health Sciences.

Cross Menzies bridge, but instead of going to Corona Station after government centre, continue tunnelling under 109 st, with a stop at Jasper/109 and one at 104/109 (connecting to the VLW), and continue moving east to meet the Metro Line at the (renamed) Rogers Arena station.

Back