News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT Expansion Planning

As the LRT expands across the city I think ridership will continue to grow as more and more people have access to the system. If the bus system also is properly expanded to complement the LRT system I think that too will expand ridership. If the LRT can make it to St. Albert sooner than later hopefully St Albert will move forward with their LRT plans. The benefit for St Albert is that they will now have easy access to the rest of the city of Edmonton via the LRT system.

As the LRT expands across the city I think ridership will continue to grow as more and more people have access to the system. If the bus system also is properly expanded to complement the LRT system I think that too will expand ridership. If the LRT can make it to St. Albert sooner than later hopefully St Albert will move forward with their LRT plans. The benefit for St Albert is that they will now have easy access to the rest of the city of Edmonton via the LRT system.
I agree, and I think that if or when an extension into St. Albert happens at some point in the future, St. Albert themselves should definitely foot a large portion of the capital costs since it directly benefits their residents.

Moving on to another potential future project, I think a mass transit connection into Sherwood Park needs to really be thought about within the next decade or two. It's even larger than St. Albert at 100,000 residents and many people commute into Edmonton for work, school, etc. It also has some large expansion plans like the Bremner Area Project that should be served by high-quality transit to take as much future commuter vehicles off the road as possible. I think that, in Sherwood Park's case, a regional/commuter rail line using DMUs like Stadler FLIRTs makes more sense than an extension of the low floor LRT system, mainly because II think it'd suit the type of service Sherwood Park would probably want (peak commuter in and out of Edmonton), while doing it faster, more efficiently and at maybe less of a cost if it follows exist rail corridors into Edmonton.

super true. from what i've read/watched about LRT and transit in general in NA, the reach of the system supports higher ridership. systems with better coverage (more kms of track/route, covering a larger percentage of the metro area they serve) have higher ridership per km than a system serving a city of the same size with weaker reach. A close example would be the C-train. although we are surprisingly close in terms of ridership/km, their number is still higher. because the C-train reaches more of the city, it is practical for more trips, and more people use it to make trips, proportionate to the number of people living close to a station. More tracks, more stations, more options, more riders! I've heard from people in Edmonton that they don't use ETS because the bus is useless and the train doesn't go where they need it to. As reach of reliable transit expands, ridership will improve.
In regards to expansion, I agree with the City pushing for the easy extension to the south first. it's an easy win to reduce congestion at Century Park, get more riders coming in from the south, and would be relatively straightforward to build. I think extending to Castle Downs is a great long-term goal; there's a loooooot of affordable family housing along that route, including a lot of opportunities for missing-middle type densification. I think that extension would open up a big part of the city to the kind of intensification we're seeing around Bonny Doon; there's great amenities already there, in terms of the rec centre, nearby parks, and schools.
Maybe with the new anouncement we'll get a timeline on both! probably not. but one can dream.

ST Al will be footing the bill on this. I believe it is in the long term budget plans. As it is St Al payed for most of the Campbell rd transit centre with will be the northwest terminal for the LRT.
And I think for St.Albert it has been a we would like to build it but Edmonton has to get it to us first.

I would hope that as soon as the remainder of the Edmonton stretch gets underway, construction wise, that St.Albert will either start getting their plans in motion, or the perfect situation would be to have their section also be built too at the same time and have it done snd ready to go when Edmonton has finished yheir part.

I was bored during class today so I made this fictional ETS livery for the Siemens SD200 (might not be fictional soon enough) based on the "Buffalo" design option when Calgary had their LRT design contest. Once again, that better happen here too! I might try to get a full side and front view done if I feel like it :cool:

New Ed LRT.png

For now, imagine the other half of the LRV being the same just flipped

original:
ctrain buffalo.jpg
(video where I got the render from)

Last edited:
I was watching the VR Alex Decoteau Stop video again and hmmmmmm:

secret LRT map.png
Leaked map anyone? 😆 I know it's probs just a placeholder but interesting nonetheless.

Back