News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT Expansion Planning

Wrong -- and absolutely wrong -- @IanO -- as a future prognosticator you are an excellent coal miner --
-- does this look like a sedan to you?

As a pedestrian first and with no vested interest, don't shoot the messenger urban puritan.

Did you also not read my post re SUVs and "Vacation Vehicles", point being "look before you leap"!

I have to agree that the current SUV and truck trend will continue with the transition to EV. The chassis of larger vehicles will easily fit the large batteries required for EVs and people are now used to a larger vehicle, for better or for worse. I am hoping for a future shift back to smaller vehicles (I drive a Prius), but I don't think that will happen over the next 5 years at least.

So I did find it interesting that I heard a councilor, I believe it was Knack mention the need to develop BRT. I'm fine with it but I smile to see how things that were supposed to be gone forever such as Electric Buses and BRT are now coming back. With that said I hope they can start figuring out some good BRT lines that will encourage increased ridership. I'm still an LRT fan but BRT could definitely help things out.

@Edmcowboy11 I agree that BRT is definitely an option for 1: making "feeder" routes of high(ish) capacity transit linking more areas into the main LRT system and 2: expanding the LRT's influence by being placed along a future expansion corridors (like on the south side). The issue is often that, when it's implemented, there's no clear vision 10-20-30 years (or even earlier) down the line of what role the BRT has. Is it going to be replaced by rapid transit eventually? Is the route length & capacity going to be expanded over time? Is the line staying the same or will it change to serve new development? All questions that I think too often are just put in in the "build first, think later" pile.

15 BILLION over 8 years for transit across Canada announced this morning. No break down yet of who gets what.
link might be useless because it was a live announcement.

I'm guessing we might get enough funding for an extension on Capital Line South with this funding announcement tbh.
Since the south extension is already funded, I'd love for this to go towards doing the Metro Line phase two extension sooner.

Since the south extension is already funded, I'd love for this to go towards doing the Metro Line phase two extension sooner.
From what I understand, the longer timeline for the Metro Line Phase two isn't funding, but design and engineering, making it not able to start construction until 2024 at the earliest (Regardless of funding). But yeah, securing funding earlier would hopefully help.

Back