7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT Expansion Planning

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 7.27.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 7.28.42 PM.png

Interesting problem I've run into while creating my light rail masterplan: the issue of Westmount LRT station (Valley Line), and Westmount Transit Centre. They will be more than 2 kilometres apart, and yet share a geographic identifier. Are there any plans to rename Westmount transit centre, or will it remain an (admittedly rather small) annoyance? Personally I'd be in favour of renaming it to Coronation Transit Centre, removing ambiguity and arguably better reflecting its location.

Federal Conservatives pledge funding support for two Edmonton LRT expansion projects in election platform

Author of the article:Dustin Cook

If elected, O’Toole said his party would move forward with the already-approved 4.5-kilometre Capital Line South extension and “immediately prioritize” the Metro Line LRT expansion from Blatchford to Castle Downs. The Metro Line extension has previously been highlighted as council’s next priority when dollars are available.

Conservative typical mandate. Promise to spend money, get into power, review the numbers, decide to postpone or cancel promises because the promises don't fall in line with being able to balance the budget, make new promises and give some money leading into new election to "show" they are serious about infrastructure.

Qrs
Conservative typical mandate. Promise to spend money, get into power, review the numbers, decide to postpone or cancel promises because the promises don't fall in line with being able to balance the budget, make new promises and give some money leading into new election to "show" they are serious about infrastructure.
I can't vote, but one thing is fore sure: from when I can to when I die, they'll never get my vote, unless they change COMPLETELY from what they are right now. (And even though I can't vote, you'll find me in the trenches with the Liberals, knocking on doors and making phone calls.)
And I honestly can't make myself believe anything that comes out of O'tole's mouth, especially if it's infrastructure that will go against what the oilheads want.

Nice gesture, but saying you're going to maintain approved spending for an upcoming expansion and committing dollars to a future expansion (one that the Liberals will probably approve anyways) isn't enough to move the dial for me yet.

Unfortunately the Conservatives tend to promise more for Edmonton than they actually deliver on

Journal article says “1.1 Billion expansion” into Castle Downs.” I thought the bridge alone over the CN tracks was north of 350M, so how does this 800 M get us into Castle Downs? Wouldn’t we need at least 2B plus to get to Campbell Rd?

Journal article says “1.1 Billion expansion” into Castle Downs.” I thought the bridge alone over the CN tracks was north of 350M, so how does this 800 M get us into Castle Downs? Wouldn’t we need at least 2B plus to get to Campbell Rd?
It's 1.1 B of federal funding. That's why Iverson said it's premature, because it depends on the new council approval and budgeting and, what is even worse, depends on the Provincial government as well. The total project is probably going to cost around 2.5 Billion to Castle Downs and a little over 3 B to Campbell Rd.

Back