News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

LRT Expansion Planning

I'll give O'Toole some credit here in that he's at least acknowledging Edmonton and it's transit needs. This city has started doing a better job of long-term planning and realistic goal-setting, with sound research and business cases behind it. (see Valley Line West funding approvals versus Green Line by the UCP) It gives me a (little) bit of hope to see a federal conservative acknowledging our need for mass transit beyond buses and highways, and supporting the planning already done by the city, as opposed to fighting against it. Compared to the anti-transit conservatism in the U.S. and even in parts of Canada, this moderate, somewhat pragmatic comment is good to see, even if it is lip service. having parties of all stripes support transit and transit investment is hugely important for cities.
That being said, this is definitely lip-service in my opinion, and i don't trust there to be much follow-through should this part get elected. I agree with a lot of what's been said, i just wanted to point out this kind of transit support is different than what's happening in a lot of other places.

On February 10, the Government of Canada announced a plan for $14.9 billion in new public transit funding over eight years, including $3 billion in ongoing annual transit funding beginning in 2026-27 - from major shovel-ready projects to electric buses to rural transit to cycling and walking paths.

Another possibility - check out Blake Desjarlais (NDP) in Edmonton-Griesbach.
Except for the fact that it would mean one less conservative seat, I don't see a point in hoping for an NDP seat. They won't form government and their rise (and split of the progressive vote) will probably end up screwing everyone and putting the government in the CPC's lap.

New government could change that though.
Earlier comment (post #259) regarding Conservatives Lrt funding announcement said hopefully liberals would also give funding if they were re-elected and I was just posting what they have committed to from announcement earlier this year - a fairly significant investment.

Except for the fact that it would mean one less conservative seat, I don't see a point in hoping for an NDP seat. They won't form government and their rise (and split of the progressive vote) will probably end up screwing everyone and putting the government in the CPC's lap.
If it means Kerry Diotte loses his job, I’m all for it. Sorry, not transit related.

Back