7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

And they are gone.

NV3.jpg

You guys remember when someone found an old Churchill Station entrance canopy in the middle of a forest 135km north of the city? The city should take inspiration from that and put these in the river valley or something 😆

I think the Victoria Trail at Smoky Lake continues into Edmonton, or at least Fort Edmonton during the fur trading days. Fort Trail was another road that led to Fort Edmonton.
There is a gravel bike ride that takes you along the river on the Trail through Victoria settlement. Still quite a few historic buildings and a monument to Sam Steele and the NWMP that came with him along the route.

We won't get England because of the insult of Manchester Square and we won't get the Netherlands because of the insult of Manchester Square... I believe it will be Germany (Ach du Lieber!).

Love to s
I'm not sure if you guys follow football all that closely, but except for the Belgium/France choosing Montreal for language reasons, overall the choice goes more over climate, distance from the venues where they'll be playing (which is decided almost a year in advance, usually) and infrastructure, rather than cultural affinity.
That said, for exposure/coverage purposes, we want to be base camp of one the following, in order of the most to least interesting, commercially: Brazil, Germany, Italy, France, Argentina, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Japan, England, Uruguay or Portugal.
The first five are the big ones, the ones everyone expects to win, so every media outlet will be covering, regardless of the country.
The Japanese are CRAZY about football and their popularity act as a banner for other Asian countries (same goes for Korea, in smaller scale). The other six are relevant and are also among the favourites to win, but their fan bases are smaller and they won't be as covered by foreign media as much as the first five teams. Also, for Edmonton, in particular, England wouldn't bring nearly as much extra exposure as any other, by the simple fact that we're already fairly well known in the English speaking world, even more so within the Commonwealth.
I'd forfeit a couple of limbs to have Germany, Italy or France here, the former being the most likely of the ones mentioned.

Love to see the football talk here but we will get 2, 3 games tops. Canada itself will get only get 10 games. It would make sense for Toronto to get 4 and Montreal and Edmonton get 3. It will be the Worldcup of the airplane with no set home base for any team.

If we get one of the teams that travel really well like Mexico, Netherlands, Germany and Brazil it would still be very cool.

Anyway, I will get tickets for the 3 games, can't wait.

It's certainly nice to have new sidewalks on Jasper Ave and the addition of some trees and benches and overall more walking space.

At the same time, the section of Jasper Ave where I live, between 109 and 116 streets is still going to have 5 lanes of traffic and on various stretches a couple of extra lanes for parking. So many lanes for cars is disappointing and doesn't make for a pleasant walking experience with the eventual new sidewalks. With construction going on, it has been nice just seeing one lane of traffic in each direction.

Toronto recently announced they are taking one of its busiest streets into downtown, Yonge street, and adding bike lanes to it - essentially taking it from four lanes to two.

In a vote of 19-3 in favour, one councillor said,

"There's plenty of room there and we can find a very safe and attractive way to include bike lanes within the streetscape."

Another said it's time to stop thinking of Yonge Street as a thoroughfare from one destination to another. One final comment from their council I will share is this:

"The addition of bike lanes on Yonge Street will revitalize local business, while also improving safety and relieving traffic congestion"

I wish our city and council would have similar thought. Jasper Avenue, 109 Street (so many car lanes), 99 Street and others should all be considered.

Back