News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

^^^^ Taking advantage of the frost line I imagine.
And they need to start earlier to be able to finish it in time for the wet season in October/November.
Last year they started in early/mid April and weren't able to finish the last layer of asphalt and had to rush with a lot of things.
I reckon they're taking advantage of the really lower traffic due to the pandemic, with the restrictions still in place, as well.

And so it begins, The 5 months of Jack hammers and Vac trucks.

Jasper vision 2021..jpg

I wish those jack hammers and vac trucks were also on the other end of Jasper by 124th street ☹️ The pedestrian realm on that side of Jasper needs some serious work, and like, soon with all the new buildings going up. Anyone know the timeline for work starting there off the top of their head?

I wish those jack hammers and vac trucks were also on the other end of Jasper by 124th street ☹️ The pedestrian realm on that side of Jasper needs some serious work, and like, soon with all the new buildings going up. Anyone know the timeline for work starting there off the top of their head?
It will go in stretches of 5 blocks at a time, taking 2 years each. Next will be 114 to 119 street (2022 and 2023 summers) and then 119 to 124 street (2024 and 2025 summers). Not sure if they'll speed up and do 10 blocks at a time when they finish the east side of Jasper, this summer, but I doubt it.

All in all, I'm not sure if it's their intention, but the city should be looking pretty for the 2026 Men's Football World Cup (I REFUSE calling it soccer).

All in all, I'm not sure if it's their intention, but the city should be looking pretty for the 2026 Men's Football World Cup (I REFUSE calling it soccer).

Speaking of the World Cup, Edmonton will get confirmation later this year if it will indeed be hosting games. Also, a survey of residents in August showed increasing support for Edmonton being a host city - 77 per cent.

Once in a lifetime.
As a matter of fact, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for a city like Edmonton to step up its game and show itself to the World.
I'm quite happy that the prospects for us are good, in terms of hosting it. And I hope we're lucky enough to be chosen by a major national team to be their base camp, so we get more exposure for longer (usually, at least two to three months before the event itself, because from the moment they announce their base camps, the city starts to get coverage non-stop until they leave the competition).

As a matter of fact, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for a city like Edmonton to step up its game and show itself to the World.
I'm quite happy that the prospects for us are good, in terms of hosting it. And I hope we're lucky enough to be chosen by a major national team to be their base camp, so we get more exposure for longer (usually, at least two to three months before the event itself, because from the moment they announce their base camps, the city starts to get coverage non-stop until they leave the competition).
I'd be happy for us to be the base camp for any of the following teams:
  • Brasil
  • Portugal
  • Senegal
  • Germany
  • England
  • Mexico (unlikely due to them hosting as well)
  • Spain
  • Italy
  • Canada
My bet is that France and Belgium likely choose Montreal as their base, due to language.

I'm guessing Toronto could be a base camp for Italy given their Italian population.
I'm not sure if you guys follow football all that closely, but except for the Belgium/France choosing Montreal for language reasons, overall the choice goes more over climate, distance from the venues where they'll be playing (which is decided almost a year in advance, usually) and infrastructure, rather than cultural affinity.
That said, for exposure/coverage purposes, we want to be base camp of one the following, in order of the most to least interesting, commercially: Brazil, Germany, Italy, France, Argentina, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Japan, England, Uruguay or Portugal.
The first five are the big ones, the ones everyone expects to win, so every media outlet will be covering, regardless of the country.
The Japanese are CRAZY about football and their popularity act as a banner for other Asian countries (same goes for Korea, in smaller scale). The other six are relevant and are also among the favourites to win, but their fan bases are smaller and they won't be as covered by foreign media as much as the first five teams. Also, for Edmonton, in particular, England wouldn't bring nearly as much extra exposure as any other, by the simple fact that we're already fairly well known in the English speaking world, even more so within the Commonwealth.
I'd forfeit a couple of limbs to have Germany, Italy or France here, the former being the most likely of the ones mentioned.

Back