News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Jasper Avenue New Vision / Imagine Jasper Avenue

Only two driving lanes, with two dedicated bus lanes? The bus lanes will be mostly empty and the driving lanes will be jammed full of frustrated drivers. I like the outside the box thinking, but practically speaking that's a terrible idea.
I think in order to know how the idea would pan out some traffic modelling taking into account all factors would have to be done (traffic is probably lighter at the moment due to Covid and people using alternative routes to avoid construction). I couldn't say with certainty if the lanes would be jammed up or not and I think drivers' levels of frustration would be based on their expectations. If someone expects to drive in a downtown with little or no queueing and travel time is longer than desired or expected then there will be frustration.

Hey, a bit off topic, but I can't help but love the fact that even disagreeing on ideas and concepts, it's reinvigorating that we all are so dedicated to a good debate e good arguments. And it's super interesting how we actually talk about some stuff as if we were actually planning the city, even though I'm not entirely sure of how much input most of us would actually have on any of the topics we debate

I'm shocked at how much wider the sidewalks are here on 99st-Jasper. You can see the edge of the sidewalk now where it meets the road, and it's twice as wide as it was before. I knew it would be widened, but not to the extent I'm seeing in person.

I have been using the old tiny sidewalks here for 15 years so maybe that's why this is blowing my mind all of a sudden.

Hey, a bit off topic, but I can't help but love the fact that even disagreeing on ideas and concepts, it's reinvigorating that we all are so dedicated to a good debate e good arguments. And it's super interesting how we actually talk about some stuff as if we were actually planning the city, even though I'm not entirely sure of how much input most of us would actually have on any of the topics we debate
Well, I think it's the manly thing to do, to pretend you know everything about everything, so... that's what we do.

Well, I think it's the manly thing to do, to pretend you know everything about everything, so... that's what we do.
I mean, not to say that we couldn't plan the city, I do have the impression that as a group, we could probably do at least as good of a job as the actual people working on it, but it doesn't make it less funny that we actually behave like we're really laying out the plans for the city's future.
And, btw, it's weird that we're such a male dominated crowd, isn't it?

@ChazYEG Yeah, that's just kinda... how it is 🤷‍♂️ I wish that there was some more female input along with ours, as these developments effect people of every gender and background in our city, not just us guys, and I believe that gaining a broader perspective on things is always healthy. But who knows, maybe there are a few girls here and we just haven't noticed 🤔 I mean, it isn't like we parade our genders every time we post sooo...

Well, enough with the off topic, tomorrow I've got some errands to run on Jasper and will try to take pictures of the current state of affairs.
I know that they're laying asphalt in some sections, already, and that the corner with 109 street is moving really fast now, they did more in the past week than they had in the two or 3 before
The whole stretch in front of Cactus Cafe is almost done and they're already doing some landscaping prep, as well as between 113 and 114 streets

@ChazYEG I would love to see some new photos, and love that you are working on A4 paper – that system makes so much more sense than Letter/Legal.
I managed to forget my phone today when I was walking through Jasper, will try to take some tomorrow :)

It's looking messy, at places, right now, but where it's close to be finished it's looking good. The north side from 109 to the corner with 110st is widening quite a lot, and the work there seems to be the most intense at the moment (maybe they wanna clear that corner before snow starts falling and accidents become likelier).

As promised, here's an update on the construction between 109st and 114st.
I'll go for a walk downtown on Sunday and will try to get some pictures from the construction from 97st to 100st and maybe something from the LRT construction as well.
20200925_135301.jpg
20200925_135358.jpg
20200925_135508.jpg
20200925_135705.jpg
20200925_135657.jpg
20200925_135746.jpg
20200925_135805.jpg
20200925_135808.jpg
20200925_135952.jpg
20200925_135925.jpg
20200925_140035.jpg
20200925_140136.jpg
20200925_140149.jpg
20200925_140312.jpg
20200925_140324.jpg

I know it's a work in progress and it's hard to make out from the photos, but based on what I can see it looks like the sidewalk is still way too narrow along the Devonian building.

Otherwise, it does look pretty good, certainly better than before at the very least.

I know it's a work in progress and it's hard to make out from the photos, but based on what I can see it looks like the sidewalk is still way too narrow along the Devonian building.

Otherwise, it does look pretty good, certainly better than before at the very least.
It's actually pretty wide there, it doesn't look like this because part of it is already open and the pictures I have from that stretch are from the new sidewalk already. Overall, it's fairly wide all the way, and the street furniture looks pretty decent and although I do think it could be better in terms of concept, the execution is really good
Everything is gonna look amazing in a few years, when the trees are all grown and there's more "life" in the avenue

I wonder if they will try paving the road and transfer traffic to the new side before winter?
They're already doing it. Most os the sidewalks are done with the concrete pouring and are well into the landscaping stage. The block of the Devonian is already being prepped to get the final layer of asphalt, the one between 113 and 114 street is getting the first layer today and according to one guy in the construction site, the block between 112 and 113 street will start being paved early next week. My bet is that they'll speed up the paving to get it done before winter hits, because having a couple of sidewalks closed is not that big of a deal, but all of that construction and unpaved roads are an issue they won't want to deal with

Back