7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

ICE Tower

I hope to see something like PJ Condos in Toronto for this project

View attachment 524177

I think it's a great looking building and the best part, it's not just a massive glass obelisk which has become far too common in recent years in my opinion. The use of brick as a primary material is sort of the main thing to take away here. It would nicely come together with the other buildings around it.

Amazing what you can do when you generate $1000+/sqft versus $300-400.

^ mostly from a materials / aesthetic level, not necessarily the big overhang and crazy stuff. I just like the brick and think it would add to the "Warehouse District" feel the city seems to be going for in this area.

I suspect it will be a glass obelisk unfortunately. The name ICE Tower means they're probably going to try to follow the same design language and materials as ICE District. I'm not a huge fan of massive glass walls though for a number of reasons:

1. Boring and far too commonplace nowadays
2. Inefficient when it comes to heating and cooling if it isn't like triple-laminated glass
3. Exacerbates the urban heat island with reflectivity and albedo

I'm not saying the building can or should be exactly like that, but just vaguely similar materials wise and aesthetically.

Very interested to see what they release.

B76C115A-CB6C-422E-B07F-A852C03318B0.png
505CD956-3C3F-468A-9E52-C60568ACD0F6.png

Would these potentially have pedway connections? Seems like they could be a decent addition to the network and the value add of walking to Loblaws or elsewhere in Ice District is pretty cool for residents. I loved that when staying at the JW last January.

Would these potentially have pedway connections?
I believe Richie said they would have in the previous Instagram video clip. It will be most interesting to see how they incorporate the Storage building into the project if they indeed are conjoined via pedway. Also interesting that they are calling these twin-tower condo projects. This could become a really interesting project if they pick up the site across 104th street to the west -- marque development for Westrich Pacific. I could see the Storage building developed as a micro hotel with activated floors for entertainment on basement level and upper levels one and two.

They absolutely must retain the Affordable Storage building exterior (which has municipal historical protection) as a podium for a new mixed-use development, although some modifications to the windows and adding more entrances are needed. Otherwise make it so!

They absolutely must retain the Affordable Storage building exterior (which has municipal historical protection) as a podium for a new mixed-use development, although some modifications to the windows and adding more entrances are needed. Otherwise make it so!

They only have to retain the south and west facades AFAIK, which means we'll probably end up with another Kelly Ramsay/Enbridge type of facadism, instead of another Mercer

Last edited:
Except that we will, once again, lose amazing character brick and beam space.

My bet is this -- since the Storage Building has the potential of oozing rizz, they build the tower on the lot adjacent to the north side of the storage building and keep the interior structural elements of the warehouse: expressed brick, timber floors and wood columns, sandblasted and cleaned up with renewed steel connectors et al. By rough estimation they could create 16 deluxe suites per floor, 32 in total for the top 2 floors -- remove the existing roof and rebuild it to accommodate an outdoor green space patio connected to an amenities level for both condo towers. The 2nd floor (pedway level) could house deluxe amenities -- spa, massage, mani-pedi, etc. The Ground floor could hold the hotel offices, concierge, and an exclusive dining and cocktail lounge. The Basement could be outfitted as an exotic Night Club with live entertainment. The 2nd floor would also be the connector point for a pedway that connects the two towers to the hotel and to Katz' buildings. Let's see how close I come in my guestimation.

Last edited:
Westrich will do the most economical bare minimum with the historical portion of the building

Back