News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

ICE Tower

Because the historical portion will be the most expensive part of the exterior
I highly doubt that plus it could also be the biggest source of revenue on a square-foot basis thereby justifying any larger expense in retrofit. The building appears to be sound, structurally speaking, and the brick seems to be in good shape. I don't see the basis for your speculation.

Just build something across the street first, before tearing down the larger more historical building.

There is no need to tear the building down and I highly doubt that is even under consideration by Westrich -- the remainder of the site that contains the warehouse building is actually larger in size than the other site south of 103rd Avenue. Richie alluded to an "exciting proposition" for the warehouse building that they are going to publish in the coming months -- "stay tuned" they say. Again, I see a micro hotel possibility with high-end suites that can cater to and compete with the Marriott-type clientele on a basis that sees a direct connection to the ICE district structures and the pedway system. I have no confirming information other than what we have all seen; just a well-considered educated guess stemming from real possibilities.

You mean the 'Toronto' course? Facadism is rampant there and started much earlier than here.

And yet hundreds of thousands of sqft, likely millions, were preserved and are amazing spaces.

There is no need to tear the building down and I highly doubt that is even under consideration by Westrich -- the remainder of the site that contains the warehouse building is actually larger in size than the other site south of 103rd Avenue. Richie alluded to an "exciting proposition" for the warehouse building that they are going to publish in the coming months -- "stay tuned" they say. Again, I see a micro hotel possibility with high-end suites that can cater to and compete with the Marriott-type clientele on a basis that sees a direct connection to the ICE district structures and the pedway system. I have no confirming information other than what we have all seen; just a well-considered educated guess stemming from real possibilities.

I can see an Alt Hotel in these plans!

I can see an Alt Hotel in these plans!

I'd love to see an Alt there, but that's not really their (WP's) MO and the overall hotel market is rather limited for new product, but I would hope that YEGDT could absorb an ALT with 90-120 rooms and see a 'flight to quality' from one of the many underwhelming ones in current inventory.

I just prefer the demolition of old buildings that don't have overly characteristic features other then being old. A warehouse by nature is an ugly yet functional space before it becomes old and run down. Probably best to stop wasting money to keep mediocre items of the past instead of building something new. Edmonton deserves better.

Back