News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

General Food & Dining Thread

This is exactly what happens. The driver as I understand it is that once a commercial space is leased out at a high rent the landlord then leverages the "value" of the place for super low cost loans that they then leverage into buying more spaces. The paper value of their property is what drives their wealth growth, not the actual rent they collect. If they lower their rent to attract tenants then they lose money and their portfolio starts imploding, but if they leave it vacant they can write it off as a business loss for a tax benefit. I may be missing some nuances but basically the way we structure commercial real estate is messed up. It's why we have 1/3 of CRUs downtown vacant and yet rent is still stupid high with more under construction.
I'm a little curious on what you think a tax write off is, as losing money on something and saving 15% on taxes isn't really a benefit, and is just a slight relief on a loss incurred. Is there something more to the story here I am not getting, because renting it out and paying tax is more beneficial than booking a loss 100% of the time.

I'm a little curious on what you think a tax write off is, as losing money on something and saving 15% on taxes isn't really a benefit, and is just a slight relief on a loss incurred. Is there something more to the story here I am not getting, because renting it out and paying tax is more beneficial than booking a loss 100% of the time.
Yeah, I don't follow that example either. A bank lends money based on the income a property produces, which dictates its value (in most retail scenarios). If it's vacant for a long time, you're not going to be able to get good financing terms on it when the loan comes up. Regardless of whether you're using it as a tax loss offset as part of a larger portfolio, it's not helping the value of the building or your portfolio to leave it vacant.

Recently had dinner at Vons in their new location at Jasper Ave and 101 Street. The food was expertly prepared and tasted delicious, and the staff were a friendly bunch. It could use more patrons, although I'm told they are always packed when it's an Oilers home game night or a concert night (e.g. Shania Twain).

Does anyone know when Clandestine (114 St north of Jasper Ave) is gonna open at all?
I was walking my dog yesterday night (around 11pm) and I noticed some music coming up from their place, also they had their "Open" sign on but they had their blinds down so it was hard to see inside.

IMG_6909.jpeg

Recently had dinner at Vons in their new location at Jasper Ave and 101 Street. The food was expertly prepared and tasted delicious, and the staff were a friendly bunch. It could use more patrons, although I'm told they are always packed when it's an Oilers home game night or a concert night (e.g. Shania Twain).

Be curious to see who takes over their old space. Make a good dive bar.....

They have their new signage up as well and it looks good.

I can't believe none of you downtown booster types mentioned this:
Bar Oro finally opened in Energy Square on Nov 21, according to Sharon Yeo's blog. I'll have to swing by for coffee soon.

And in the demise of lackluster places. The last Deluxe burger closed in St Albert Last week.

Back