News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

General Food & Dining Thread

There’s no indication they’re reopening and no reason I would be excited. It was pretty terrible last 10 years just people had nostalgia.

Last edited:
I was at Transit Smokehouse this past weekend. The carrot soup was superb, the beef brisket was so good that I didn't even bother with the BBQ sauces, Ray and Melissa were awesome as always, and the blues band was enjoyable. I'll continue to visit them again.

^Jack's has bad hours unfortunately. Only M-F until 7:30pm. Still great though. Wayback was underwhelming last time I had it, but I do love tater tots. Other options aren't Downtown but I'm sure they're good. I would love to try Flat Boy soon.

My favourite burger Downtown right now is at DOSC. Very tasty.
They used to be open on Saturdays but business just didn't seem to be there to justify the hours. It's sad, because Jack's is still the best option for a burger downtown when they are open..

Highlights from this week's Only Here for the Food blog:

Pizza Garage has opened its second location downtown at Central LRT station, 10020 Jasper Avenue.
Central City Market, offering pizza, pita pies, gelato, and more, is now open at 10508 106 Avenue (1 block north of MacEwan University).
Hanjan is adding a third location, partnered with Teapsy Lab, in Old Strathcona at 10536 82 Avenue.
Okinawa Onigiri will open in the former Sequel Cafe space at 10011 102 Avenue which has been vacant for several years.
Anejo Restaurant, with locations in Toronto, Calgary, and Banff, will be opening up in the Brewery District in 2024 at 11954 104 Avenue.

Last night, I finally checked out Monsoon Bistro for an event, and man, was it a flavor explosion! The slow-cooked lamb shank was a total winner, no doubt. But here's the twist – amidst all the North Indian goodness, my taste buds were still buzzing from this unexpected cheese corn dog I tried earlier in the day. Yeah, a bit random, I know! Trust me, it's like a flavor explosion in your mouth.
Ooh, Monsoon is amazing. Last week, I was their for a work party and their coconut fish curry and garlic naan were to die for 😋

Went to DOSC last night and gotta say I was pretty underwhelmed.

Food itself was fine however the portions + pricing for what I received was a head scratcher. Was a shame because the interior and vibe is great in there and I always want to see local spots do well but I'm curious if I'm the only one who's experienced this and if anyone has gone lately, what was your experience?

Went to DOSC last night and gotta say I was pretty underwhelmed.

Food itself was fine however the portions + pricing for what I received was a head scratcher. Was a shame because the interior and vibe is great in there and I always want to see local spots do well but I'm curious if I'm the only one who's experienced this and if anyone has gone lately, what was your experience?
Never been there but expectations for New Years Eve dinners anywhere should always be kept at a minimum. Back on the day when I used to serve on those nights…..it was always a rip off to whomever paid outrageous inflated prices mainly for the venue….of course this was 25 years ago

Never been there but expectations for New Years Eve dinners anywhere should always be kept at a minimum. Back on the day when I used to serve on those nights…..it was always a rip off to whomever paid outrageous inflated prices mainly for the venue….of course this was 25 years ago
I generally avoid sit down restaurants on NYE due to hating set menus and inflated prices like you mentioned. However, there was no set menu and prices remained the usual for them when I checked the menu a couple of weeks back.

Have only done a few NYE dinners and yes with a few exceptions they are underwhelming

Went to Haps Hungry house For a late breakfast on Sat, Been hearing good things about it for years but just never got there. Very happy to say it was worth it. Large Portions very fast service. Place was jammed even at 1:30 on a Sat. Go constant flow of customers while we were there. bill came to 50. And yes we ate a lot. This is a continuation of our search for the best breakfast/lunch Dinner in YEG. ( Hathaways, Rockin Robins, Old Beverly Cafe are all on the need to get back to List). Could not get into Donnas Eatery because it was so busy.

Back