News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

General Food & Dining Thread

Was at Let's Grill last night to hop onboard the sushi train. The food was quite delicious, and was washed down with some good hot hot sake - I'll be back again.
I have to say I'm rather surprised to hear that this is the first sushi train in Edmonton. I've experienced sushi trains in other cities, including Regina. Was Edmonton that far behind the times?

There have been 'sushi trains' in Edmonton before, including one at WEM and one on the Southside off Calgary trail over the years (maybe more).

I'm not too worried about the lack of these and its connection to progressiveness.

I like Lorenzo's, Tony's is overrated IMO, Famoso is good for a chain.
Best bang for the buck, IMO, is Panini's
Tony's was my favourite years ago. Like, back when I was a kid, it's what actually convinced me that pizza wasn't just gross because most pizza in this town was just a greasy, salty mess made by Greeks who had heard of pizza in very approximate terms. And there was this pizza with real cheese and sauce that tasted like real tomato and nice Italian meats.

But I'm not sure it's aged well, and I don't know if they're doing something different, my tastes have changed, or there's just so much more out there. Italian Centre in Little Italy started baking pizza at its cafe and it's good and cheap, so I'm probably not going to walk past them to get to Tony's anymore.

Granted, I'm almost never going out for pizza nowadays because the other half and I usually just roll one out and I get ingredients from the Italian centre and we make our own. I think the last time I had one out was the "forager" pizza at Campio, and it was nice (though their "wild mushroom mix on it" looked an awful lot like 97% crimini). I've been meaning to try the place under Cambridge Lofts in the pedway to Central LRT, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Last edited:
Paninis is opening their third location, this one being in Jasper Gates where Il Forno used to occupy. This will be the family's 2nd location that has easy LRT access while allowing for better delivery driver pickup than their Jasper Ave location.

I was worried that they were going to stick it around 170th, but I'm pleasently surprised. They'll do well here.

There have been 'sushi trains' in Edmonton before, including one at WEM and one on the Southside off Calgary trail over the years (maybe more).

I'm not too worried about the lack of these and its connection to progressiveness.
Could you expand on that last bit? I don't follow your comment about progressiveness.

'I've experienced sushi trains in other cities, including Regina. Was Edmonton that far behind the times?';

Openings
  • The Pampa space Downtown has been vacant for some years, so its nice to see some life back into it. Sang, is a new Korean restaurant from the owners of Dorinku/DOSC/Japonais, offering hanjeongsik for the first time in Edmonton, a “Korean-style full-course meal characterized by the colourful array of side dishes”.
  • Aloha Poke and Grill opened its second location in Garneau on June 1. Find it at 8716 109 Street.
  • Brew and Bloom will be opening their second location on the south side on June 7, at 1019 Parsons Road SW.
  • Machi Machi is the latest Taiwanese bubble tea chain to open in Edmonton, at 3713 Gateway Blvd.
  • Doughlicious Donuts is now open in West Edmonton Mall on level one, near the lake.

Closures
  • The Grizzlar, which closed their storefront some time ago, posted that it will not be returning: “Well, we thought we could bring it back, but we can’t. It wasn’t our choice and there are some issues which we are working through, but the end result is the same. The GRIZZLAR is done and is not coming back.”

Openings
  • The Pampa space Downtown has been vacant for some years, so its nice to see some life back into it. Sang, is a new Korean restaurant from the owners of Dorinku/DOSC/Japonais, offering hanjeongsik for the first time in Edmonton, a “Korean-style full-course meal characterized by the colourful array of side dishes”.
  • Aloha Poke and Grill opened its second location in Garneau on June 1. Find it at 8716 109 Street.
  • Brew and Bloom will be opening their second location on the south side on June 7, at 1019 Parsons Road SW.
  • Machi Machi is the latest Taiwanese bubble tea chain to open in Edmonton, at 3713 Gateway Blvd.
  • Doughlicious Donuts is now open in West Edmonton Mall on level one, near the lake.

Closures
  • The Grizzlar, which closed their storefront some time ago, posted that it will not be returning: “Well, we thought we could bring it back, but we can’t. It wasn’t our choice and there are some issues which we are working through, but the end result is the same. The GRIZZLAR is done and is not coming back.”
So the Brew and Bloom south location is in an old Rona? That seems like a huge space for them to fill, wow.

The old Rona store has been turned inside out and now has stores on the outside of the building now. Plus they are building a stand alone expansion on the property as well.
The stand alone will be nice and is also serving the purpose of hiding the cemetery from view of customers.

Back