News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Flair Airlines General Discussion and Updates

Interesting exchange of views between CEO of Flair and CEO of WestJet on LinkedIn:

Ed Sims

Stephen - you will remember from running a low cost subsidiary of a large monopolist that Australiasia benefits from materially lower regulatory costs than Canada. $8 out of every $100 in your New Zealand homeland goes on airport and ATC charges - in Canada that number is $24. While aiming at “Big Air “( which seems to include an airline that has halved domestic airfares over its 26 years)you might also recognize the role of unavoidable airport and NavCanada costs in international comparisons

Stephen Jones

Come on Ed… you are deflecting. It is true that Canada is a more expensive environment to operate in than say Europe at an airport and ATC level, but that does not explain $800 one way economy fares on a 90 minute flight. Calgary to Edmonton today, a 2 1/2 hour drive, had air fares of $780 one way.

The reason for the high fares is lack of efficient competition - plain and simple. Flair is here to change that.

10 years from now, there are two things I know for sure. Air Canada will still exist, and there will be a thriving ULCC sector covering 30-50 percent of the market. The other airlines will need to reinvent themselves or will disappear.

Interesting exchange of views between CEO of Flair and CEO of WestJet on LinkedIn:

Ed Sims

Stephen - you will remember from running a low cost subsidiary of a large monopolist that Australiasia benefits from materially lower regulatory costs than Canada. $8 out of every $100 in your New Zealand homeland goes on airport and ATC charges - in Canada that number is $24. While aiming at “Big Air “( which seems to include an airline that has halved domestic airfares over its 26 years)you might also recognize the role of unavoidable airport and NavCanada costs in international comparisons

Stephen Jones

Come on Ed… you are deflecting. It is true that Canada is a more expensive environment to operate in than say Europe at an airport and ATC level, but that does not explain $800 one way economy fares on a 90 minute flight. Calgary to Edmonton today, a 2 1/2 hour drive, had air fares of $780 one way.

The reason for the high fares is lack of efficient competition - plain and simple. Flair is here to change that.

10 years from now, there are two things I know for sure. Air Canada will still exist, and there will be a thriving ULCC sector covering 30-50 percent of the market. The other airlines will need to reinvent themselves or will disappear.

I agree with Stephen Jones. ULCC will fly 50% of all passenger traffic domestically (and internationally imo). That leaves 50% for AC, WS, AT, SW, Porter to fight over premium flyers and economy class seats from passengers heading to destinations served by a ULCC.

Last edited:
Any news on future routes? ORD and EWR keep getting mentioned... And what's the status of BUR? That to me besides an LHR and KEF flight are of the cities most importance to try and land or attract new flights to and and from CYEG so I hope that Flair is up to the task. If anyone can make a go of it on these routes it will be this ULCC aka 21st century version of a flying Greyhound... Which ironically couldn't get off the ground for more than just a few months for one summer 25 years ago...

I honestly don't get the big stink is about ULCC's. Is it just that people are that stupid and entitled these days or are the flights really that bad? The worst service I've ever received on a domestic was a Westjet out of Edmonton and that was mostly the check in crew at the bag drop... Otherwise the service in the sky is virtually the same... A mixture of benign neglect and passive aggressive hostility... Then again that's also true in every other service industry which is why I prefer most of my experiences these day to be self guided and automated. Very rarely is it where I actually need to interact with a human and that's OK. Most are terrible anyway... ;-)

Interesting analysis here. Flair is now about 30% of WestJet's size in terms of seat capacity for September 2022. Pretty rapid growth!

1664049038671.png

source:

Interesting analysis here. Flair is now about 30% of WestJet's size in terms of seat capacity for September 2022. Pretty rapid growth!

View attachment 428768
source:

Love to see it although Swoop seats can be lumped in with Westjet.

Anecdotally seeing less complaints about Flair on delays and other issues. The one I’ve seen a lot recently is issues with their online check-in system.

Hopefully they can keep filling planes and charge a decent amount for their seats ($49 for a trip anywhere is just crazy). Wonder if a YEG- New York route, being big for tourists, could be in their future even a couple times a week.

Back