News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Federal Politics

I think it's time for Trudeau to step down.
I wonder if one reason he was hanging in there was to not disrupt the agreement with the NDP. Well that's gone now.

While there will still likely not be a fall or winter election, the window for changing leaders for the Liberals is getting narrower.

I wonder if one reason he was hanging in there was to not disrupt the agreement with the NDP. Well that's gone now.

While there will still likely not be a fall or winter election, the window for changing leaders for the Liberals is getting narrower.
With or without the agreement with the NDP, the resignation of a Prime Minister in a minority government is likely to trigger a non-confidence vote. That means they would have to deal with an election with a lame duck leader (although many of us think he has always been a lame duck leader) or an interim appointed leader as there wouldn’t be time to do otherwise.

With or without the agreement with the NDP, the resignation of a Prime Minister in a minority government is likely to trigger a non-confidence vote. That means they would have to deal with an election with a lame duck leader (although many of us think he has always been a lame duck leader) or an interim appointed leader as there wouldn’t be time to do otherwise.
Well, well, well.

Non confidence votes are generally votes on money bills and a leadership contest is not that. And the PMs announced resignation would probably not be effective until after a new leader was chosen..

Having said that an opposition party eager to have an election can find any pretext for a non confidence motion and if someone sneezes that could qualify. However, the issue is only one party is eager to have an election now, so unless they can get another one to go along the vote would be unsuccessful as all others over the last few years have been.

The Liberals were in a minority position when years ago Prime Minister Pearson announced he would be resigning and a leadership contest was called. The minority government survived that, so history shows replacing a leader in a minority situation can be done.

Back