News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Federal Politics

The current marathon stallfest by the Federal Conservatives is maddening. There are better ways to go about doing this, stop playing US-style political games...
It seems like a muscle flexing thing to try prove he is powerful and controlling the agenda or something, but I don't think it will work or actually accomplish anything so he could come out of it looking petty and a bit deranged.

The feds announced a continuation of funding for affordable housing ($1 billion) and low interest loans to incentivize developers to build more rentals ($15 billion) from funding already in place and being announced currently.

Former Mayor Don Iveson seems to be doing well - he was on CBC National today providing analysis of today's announcement as Co-Chair of the new Housing and Climate Task Force. The task force includes former Conservative cabinet minister Lisa Raitt and Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney (who is possibly a future PM in waiting).

I would like to see Don in Federal role of some sort .... Senator would be my preference.

At some point (and I think we are at it now) implementation becomes more important than announcements of more money for affordable housing.

Deliver-ability has long been the Achilles heel of the current Federal government, which is one reason so many people are not listening to what they say any more.

So, I would avoid giving "deadlines don't matter" Don a bigger role in anything that will require the party in power to now deliver quickly, if it has any hope of staying in power.

With the date of April 23, 2024 upcoming which denotes whether the next election happens under new redistributed ridings (if after that date) or the current map (if before that date). What is the likelihood an election happens before then and does anyone have any thoughts on who benefits from either scenario from a strategy perspective. Perhaps it's not a huge difference either way? I personally don't think an election will be called anytime soon but curious what others think.

No election soon tbh, they'd probably want it to after the US election. Point down at the subsequent chaos and let it play out.

I really don't see an election coming soon in Canada either. If inflation continues to come down and interest rates start to decline that will reduce some of the anxiety and anger out there.

Here in the Alberta don't forget the UCP was way down in the polls a year or so before the election and few thought they could win. So, the same thing could happen Federally and they could turn it around too.

No election soon tbh, they'd probably want it to after the US election. Point down at the subsequent chaos and let it play out.
Point down is about right and highlight the PC and Trump Republican friendship (Trump is meddlesome). On the other hand if Trump is out of the running in the US - Canadians won’t care which party in the US wins the election and the PC’s will win. My take anyway.

I am getting really disappointed with the allocation of the Housing accelerator fund. Where the heck is our money or announcement? looking at the list of approved cities so far we have been ahead of in reforms, transit, biking expansions, etc... we have had a gigantic increase in population and still no cash :( i mean for god sakes Regina got money and only passed zoning updates this month. It just really leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth when we are doing the right things and it's not reinforced here or nationally as what we need to be doing.

I am getting really disappointed with the allocation of the Housing accelerator fund. Where the heck is our money or announcement? looking at the list of approved cities so far we have been ahead of in reforms, transit, biking expansions, etc... we have had a gigantic increase in population and still no cash :( i mean for god sakes Regina got money and only passed zoning updates this month. It just really leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth when we are doing the right things and it's not reinforced here or nationally as what we need to be doing.

The ongoing labor dispute between the city and city staff including a possible strike/lockout may be holding things up.

Last edited:
So much for the supposed benefit of having a Liberal MP and actually the only Federal Cabinet Minister in Alberta.

I am not sure if he is MIA here or just going through the motions at this point as he does not expect to run or win again in the upcoming election.

This is pretty amazing - I haven't heard anything about this Monday announcement. But feds are saying they are not going to fund any existing road projects where there is a request to widen the road. New projects, yes, but widening something like the Henday, no.

I love it but chances are fed liberals won't be around much longer haha

From environment minister:
"We can very well achieve our goals of economic, social and human development without more enlargement of the road network."

Guilbeault said the federal government is intent on moving people out of their cars and into public transportation, which the government has spent billions to build.

He said the federal government also wants to encourage "active transit," which means getting people to walk and cycle.

Last edited:
This is pretty amazing - I haven't heard anything about this Monday announcement. But feds are saying they are not going to fund any existing road projects where there is a request to widen the road. New projects, yes, but widening something like the Henday, no.

I love it but chances are fed liberals won't be around much longer haha

From environment minister:
"We can very well achieve our goals of economic, social and human development without more enlargement of the road network."

Guilbeault said the federal government is intent on moving people out of their cars and into public transportation, which the government has spent billions to build.

He said the federal government also wants to encourage "active transit," which means getting people to walk and cycle.

Probably the right move but an interesting take given the traffic issues in key voting areas like Toronto or Montreal. It's not like induced demand is a commonly understood concept among laymen.

I guess Yellowhead project got in just in time then. Would be easier to sell and understand this announcement if they had details around where funds typically flowing to those projects would go (i.e. tax cuts, paying off debt, public transit, intercity rail networks, etc..)

Back