News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

ETS Bus and General Transit Improvements

Took the train today and Peace Officers actually checked fares on the train I was on. Looked like they had a machine to check ARC cards but they weren't using it. All I had to do was show them my ARC card (which I had actually tapped this time) and they moved on. Validating my theory that as long as you carry a card you can get on without paying.
I was on a Valleyline train last week and had the Peace Officers with the scanner checking fares too, but they did actually scan my card with it and verified my fare was actually active. So clearly they do work, it didn't take that long either so I can't imagine why they would avoid using it.

Since people here seem to be somewhat interested in ridership stats I have some good news to share. We're starting to get raw APC data back from the first week of September. Average 295,000 bus only boardings for the first full week of September 2024. Compared to average 255,000 for the first full week of September 2023. So approximately 16% increase compared to last year. Also keep in mind that last year we had Route 73 (Valley Line precursor) included in the 2023 data and this has now been replaced by Valley Line which is of course not in the 2024 data. Again, this is raw data like everything else I've shared recently. But comparing apples to apples this increase is really great to see.

Last edited:
A
Since people here seem to be somewhat interested in ridership stats I have some good news to share. We're starting to get raw APC data back from the first week of September. Average 295,000 bus only boardings for the first full week of September 2024. Compared to average 255,000 for the first full week of September 2023. So approximately 16% increase compared to last year. Also keep in mind that last year we had Route 73 (Valley Line precursor) included in the 2023 data and this has now been replaced by Valley Line which is of course not in the 2024 data. Again, this is raw data like everything else I've shared recently. But comparing apples to apples this increase is really great to see.
awesome to hear!

Does ETS have any data on “captured” vs “choice” riders? I wonder how cost of living may impact transit these days. Great to see ridership increasing, and hopefully due to choice, increasing safety, and efficiency , etc. and not just economic issues and forced use due to poverty.

I guess the low income transit passes might tell some of that story?

Great find. Give service, comfort, speed, frequency and a customer focused environment and passenger numbers grow. I would be happy if ETS could get one of these.
I'd be happy to have the busses just run on time and make connections.

Hell, I'd be happy with a proper fleet renewal process, out fleet is timing out as a block of a former major purchase of 200+ units are coming up...

Type of vehicle would be a novelty at first then drop off, and Strathcona does have double deckers for that balcony view.

Now if you wanted to add those, then those users must pay for it, not subsidized by others, and that's a problem...

A

awesome to hear!

Does ETS have any data on “captured” vs “choice” riders? I wonder how cost of living may impact transit these days. Great to see ridership increasing, and hopefully due to choice, increasing safety, and efficiency , etc. and not just economic issues and forced use due to poverty.

I guess the low income transit passes might tell some of that story?
That's an interesting demographic split, and arc may help with that somewhat, especially with the Ride flagged cards sold/used vs regular cards that already have a seniors/youth breakout...

Back