News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

ETS Bus and General Transit Improvements

Safe consumption sites needed in every neighbourhood.
Cause they’ve really Improved things in Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, and cali…?

How to destroy a neighborhood. Normalize what shouldn’t be normal. Accept what’s not acceptable.

We need treatment, not free drugs that endanger innocent neighbours.

Whewwww! I thought it was going to a disturbing video…..that’s nothing compared to every other single “zombie” video out there….especially the “Kensington” ones in Philly.

I suppose it is not just us, if that is some consolation. However, it is called ETS so it will be up to the city to try resolve the problems here and not just try pass the buck.

Unfortunately the article does not refer to Edmonton in the paragraph about the 2023 shortfall, but the amount later referred to of $174 million for Edmonton sure does not compare well the earlier amount for Calgary of $33 million.

THIS IS JUST SUPER NEWS...https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/edmonton-transit-may-double-cost-for-seniors-passes-in-2025-with-steep-hikes-for-arc-and-cash-fares

THIS IS JUST SUPER NEWS...https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/edmonton-transit-may-double-cost-for-seniors-passes-in-2025-with-steep-hikes-for-arc-and-cash-fares
They are willing to do everything to avoid acknowledging that the drop in fairs are because ARC is a complete failure that is leading to a massive increase in people not paying fares (frankly, myself included at times). It's already bad value for money, they are going to create a death spiral of usership.

The reddit thread on this is a perfect summation of just how off the mark this is:

They are willing to do everything to avoid acknowledging that the drop in fairs are because ARC is a complete failure that is leading to a massive increase in people not paying fares (frankly, myself included at times). It's already bad value for money, they are going to create a death spiral of usership.

The reddit thread on this is a perfect summation of just how off the mark this is:
First, I am quite concerned if regular riders and seniors are being asked to cover the reduced Ride Transit fares. That is not fair.
"Council asked the public transit provider to return with a plan to fill the $10 million gap needed to fund low-income passes. ETS is offering up two scenarios."

Second, I wouldn't blame Arc. Arc's timing is coincidental. Does it have it's negative points? Certainly. I have forgotten to pay a few times on the LRT. I don't see how it is a bad value for money though. I could buy transit tickets for about the same cost, but with Arc I don't need to worry about actually buying physical tickets from anywhere. If I use transit enough, I get capped. No guesswork as to whether or not I should buy a bus pass at the start of the month. Easy regional travel.
Fare evasion has been the next big issue now that transit agencies are generally getting disorder under control. The revenue shortfall is not just an Edmonton thing and it didn't take me long to round up stories about the problems in other cities.
New York MTA is reporting 45% fare evasion on buses.

Second, I wouldn't blame Arc. Arc's timing is coincidental. Does it have it's negative points? Certainly. I have forgotten to pay a few times on the LRT. I don't see how it is a bad value for money though. I could buy transit tickets for about the same cost, but with Arc I don't need to worry about actually buying physical tickets from anywhere. If I use transit enough, I get capped. No guesswork as to whether or not I should buy a bus pass at the start of the month. Easy regional travel.
Fare evasion has been the next big issue now that transit agencies are generally getting disorder under control. The revenue shortfall is not just an Edmonton thing and it didn't take me long to round up stories about the problems in other cities.
New York MTA is reporting 45% fare evasion on buses.
The bad value for money comment was about ETS in general not ARC, and mostly applies to people who already own a car (the vast majority of Edmonton's population). We've talked about that before. Increasing fares only further increases the likelihood I choose my car over transit.

But I think ARC is more than coincidental to revenue loss. The poor reliability, asinine location of scanners at stations, and limited consequences for fare evasion has greatly increased the number of people who are "fare evaders" out of frustration and apathy. Why scan my card when it only works part of the time anyway? If a cop stops me: "I tried but it didn't work", which half the time is true anyway. I've never evaded a fare in my life, now I would say I bother to pay about half the time, and I know I am far from alone, just read the reddit comments. I recognize I am a casual user, but there are fewer and fewer of us. Keep pushing us away and the transit system will further become a method of last resort, which is what none of us want.

I would really like to see a comparison of fare revenue changes between cities over the last few years to see if Edmonton's is worse.

Regarding arc, it has caused some change in ETS product purchasing, whereas in the past you bought your pass by the 1st and the money flowed in, now it's more pay as you go, Ie: If I take a week off work, I'll buy a weeks less and the cash flow into the city is changed.

I've yet to be fare checked over the entire summer despite the announcements and massive increase in Patrols, yet policing/peace officer costs must be thru the roof with all the increased security with what offset exactly. System seemed pretty good since Taste and the Folk fest (which really worked well, yet how so for other parts of the city trying to get there?), but how long can it be maintained and the cost?

That video is not a ride generator for sure (my uncle in NJ was shocked, "Is it really that bad"?), and thus may scare off those who have a transportation choice and the problems aren't everywhere right now, but wait until the seasons change...

I think there is a decent chance that overall revenue drops if they raise the price that much for an awful experience a lot of the time
oh that is a given, even without the awfulness, raise fares, see what happens to ridership amongst those with a choice

Regarding arc, it has caused some change in ETS product purchasing, whereas in the past you bought your pass by the 1st and the money flowed in, now it's more pay as you go, Ie: If I take a week off work, I'll buy a weeks less and the cash flow into the city is changed.

I've yet to be fare checked over the entire summer despite the announcements and massive increase in Patrols, yet policing/peace officer costs must be thru the roof with all the increased security with what offset exactly. System seemed pretty good since Taste and the Folk fest (which really worked well, yet how so for other parts of the city trying to get there?), but how long can it be maintained and the cost?

That video is not a ride generator for sure (my uncle in NJ was shocked, "Is it really that bad"?), and thus may scare off those who have a transportation choice and the problems aren't everywhere right now, but wait until the seasons change...
I haven’t seen a fare checker in over a year. There is only one ARC tap machine on the south exit at Corona on the South side of the fare zone. This morning I tapped in at Corona but when I got to Century Park none of the machines worked when I tapped out. No biggy for me but what about the people getting on?

ATU 569 needs to let the city require bus operators to close the doors & set destination sign to [Not In Service] when leaving buses unattended at Transit Centres.
IMG_7893.jpeg

Edmonton Transit Service Revenue Management Audit, 2019

Back