News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.9K     0 

ETS Bus and General Transit Improvements

Wondering if ETS has anything for noting bus issues available to the general public like they have for texting safety/security issues.

Many times I've seen busses with some issues that need to be reported.

Today ran across a 72xx series that was making screaming noises, pedestrians all looking and pointing but the driver...

311 app or form to report issues, nothing realtime like the transit safety text line though.

IMG_7461.png

Yes in theory however if the air goes out of service on the bus and the windows are sealed? Bus is out of service as probably no reserve vehicle is available.

At least with functioning windows you can get some air flow and continue in service and not take a bus out of service and inconvenience all the current and future passengers of that route(s).
If the AC was not working the driver could just unlock the windows, same as if it was a cooler day and they weren't using it.

If the AC was not working the driver could just unlock the windows, same as if it was a cooler day and they weren't using it.
I don't think that is a feature that even exists.
Calgary Transit has fully sealed windows on some of their air conditioned buses. Glad we don't.

Survey!

ETS Youth Qualitative Research Recruitment:

We are looking for youth transit riders to take part in qualitative research (interviews or focus groups with other ETS riders).

Survey closes: July 16 at 11:59pm

So reading the report, it is nice to see these projects all proceeding in one form or another. I will of course be way more excited when construction of the bridge over the yellowhead begins.

One thing I do wonder about is which train car model is ETS planning to buy that will replace the U2's?

Also, I wonder if one of the U2's will be preserved somewhere, for example at the Alberta Raiway Museum?

Or how bout this (an impossible dream) give the U2's to other communities in the region to encourage them to connect their communities to ETS LRT. Yes I know it is antiquated rolling stock but it could help kickstart some LRT growth if elsewhere because rolling stock would not have to be purchased.

The thing I do wonder about is which train car model is ETS planning to buy that will replace the U2's?
ETS likely isn't planning on a specific model since this will be put out as a competitive procurement.

Also, I wonder if one of the U2's will be preserved somewhere, for example at the Alberta Raiway Museum?
Well, the ERRS would be the logical group to take one on. The ARM doesn't have any transit equipment. In fact, way back when I believe they transfered what they had to the ERRS once they got off the ground. My intel from many years ago is that ETS will retain at least 1 car and even has the seat fabric to restore the car. Not sure if that is the original material or the later brown material however.
Or how bout this (an impossible dream) give the U2's to other communities in the region to encourage them to connect their communities to ETS LRT. Yes I know it is antiquated rolling stock but it could help kickstart some LRT growth if elsewhere because rolling stock would not have to be purchased.
If they could afford to develop an electrified rapid transit line, then they can afford the equipment for it. By the time the first cars leave ETS service there's a very good chance they will be at least 50 years old, if not having operated for 50 years. Currently they are 47 years old with 46 years of passenger service. I always thought the procurement was supposed to be issued late last year, but so far it hasn't been.

Translink is losing pandemic era provincial funding at the end of 2025. They're probably going to play chicken and see if the BC NDP government is going to allow a third of Vancouver's transit service to be cut.

The West Coast Express commuter rail is only operating at 40% of pre-pandemic levels and is on the chopping block if they can't find funding, but I wonder if it's being scrutinized altogether. It might be a combination of all the things, hybrid/full work from home, growth of employment in the Fraser Valley (I commuted from Mission to Vancouver for a few years and looking back I wonder why), Skytrain to Coquitlam is half the cost and much more frequent which may cancel out being about 15 minutes slower, the new 66 bus from Chilliwack to Lougheed Skytrain Station also slower but much more affordable

It seems like ETS isn't the only one facing shortfalls, because damn this looks grim for Translink.
ETS isn’t in as bad of a fiscal situation as TransLink…

Unfortunately, this doesn’t help our situation:

Back