News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.8K     0 

ETS Bus and General Transit Improvements

According to ETSAB July 2020 Branch Highlights Report June 2020 ridership was 3,199,531...

Council report - 2,485,008.
Open Data - 2,060,578.
And APTA was 3,618,600 for June 2020. 🤣 The only thing that is consistent is the APTA reporting has the highest numbers and the Open Data the lowest.

In comparison, that article out of Calgary I linked to gave ridership as 8,792,500 for LRT and 25 million in Q1 overall. That 8 million for LRT exactly matches what was reported by APTA. The 25 million matches all Q1 LRT ridership that Calgary reported to APTA. The news release and subsequent articles in the media make it sound like that was the bus and LRT total for Q1. I think that might have been a bit of a mistake with the wording in the news release. But, the fact is the numbers Calgary reported in the media matches what APTA reported, so it's not like it's a problem reporting through APTA.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10564914/edmonton-lrt-ridership-pre-pandemic-levels/

“Bus ridership, we actually announced last February, had recovered from where we were before the pandemic and since then we’re above where we were back in 2019, which is amazing,” said Sarah Feldman, director of transit planning and ridership with ETS.

“LRT continues to grow and we’re almost at our pre-pandemic levels, which is great.”

What is almost though? Please the forum readers yearn for numbers lol

https://globalnews.ca/news/10564914/edmonton-lrt-ridership-pre-pandemic-levels/

What is almost though? Please the forum readers yearn for numbers lol
I'm going to get triggered. 😂
So Rutherford says the Valley Line is getting 100,000 trips per day but ETS reported ridership as 223,000 per month.

The LRT ridership is improving. No doubt about that. I just don't like how they are saying that LRT is almost at pre-pandemic levels, but, that now includes the addition of an entire, new LRT line.

ETS still offers paid park and ride at the NE stations. They need to scrap that until that level of demand has returned to justify offering paid park and ride. That should have happened years ago when the ridership went down the drain.

So Rutherford says the Valley Line is getting 100,000 trips per day but ETS reported ridership as 223,000 per month.

The LRT ridership is improving. No doubt about that. I just don't like how they are saying that LRT is almost at pre-pandemic levels, but, that now includes the addition of an entire, new LRT line.

ETS still offers paid park and ride at the NE stations. They need to scrap that until that level of demand has returned to justify offering paid park and ride. That should have happened years ago when the ridership went down the drain.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE lmao

Yeah, the trend of increased LRT ridership is set in stone. Honestly, I’m fine with that sort of omission. If these articles (even if they’re playing around with some facts) about LRT ridership approaching pre-pandemic levels make more people comfortable taking the train, I’m all for it.

Increased off-peak frequency of routes 55 (Meadows-Southgate in all time periods), 56, 114, 518 (increased Saturday early evening from 60 mins to 30 mins), 903 is probably helping a bit.

123 & 902 getting full span of service 7 days a week should help too.

ETS was recently restructured.

Director, Transit Planning, Ridership and Revenue
Sarah Feldman

Director, LRT Operations and Maintenance
Trevor Dennehy

Director, Transit Scheduling and Workforce Operations Support
Cameron Grayson

Director, Technical Services
Jesse Issac

Director, Bus Operations
Ryan Birch

Former Departments:

- Business Integration and Workforce Development
- Engineering and Maintenance
- Planning and Scheduling
- Transit Innovation Program
- Transit Operations

Last edited:
At the council meeting, admin clarified that LRT ridership is at around 85% recovery.
85% is not quite "almost" recovered and if the 85% is including Valley Line (which was not running then) numbers, then this the gap is even bigger.

Vague terms like almost are not helpful in understanding the situation and I wish people would avoid using them particularly in a situation like this where actual numbers and percentages should be tracked and available.

ETS was recently restructured.

Director, Transit Planning, Ridership and Revenue
Sarah Feldman

Director, LRT Operations and Maintenance
Trevor Dennehy

Director, Transit Scheduling and Workforce Operations Support
Cameron Grayson

Director, Technical Services
Jesse Issac

Director, Bus Operations
Ryan Birch

Former Departments:

- Business Integration and Workforce Development
- Engineering and Maintenance
- Planning and Scheduling
- Transit Innovation Program
- Transit Operations
nice, just so long as they get the busses to run on schedule and make connections and I'll be happy...

To be fair Post pandemic world is structured differently than the world today with more at home options for work and school.
People are not “doing” as much as we focus on other rising costs.
And
We also went through a major network upheaval with the introduction of the new lrt line and new fair collection/rates.

Things will return and grow.

When I read that I was confused too. I think it’s 10,000/day. Cause all other numbers we have seen were 5-8k daily. So 10k/weekday average I could see being true

Had a rough day yesterday. The 747 shuttle bus to the airport was jam packed and the driver said no one else could get on leaving about 10 people to wait an hour for the next bus. . Well one guy to matters into his own hands he barged his way on knocking the diver back into his seat and slamming the driver’s door. So naturally the driver had to call security. After about 15 minutes waiting the perpetrator realizing security was on the way decided to leave Then we had to wait for security making the bus a half hour late. Lots of drama

Had a rough day yesterday. The 747 shuttle bus to the airport was jam packed and the driver said no one else could get on leaving about 10 people to wait an hour for the next bus. . Well one guy to matters into his own hands he barged his way on knocking the diver back into his seat and slamming the driver’s door. So naturally the driver had to call security. After about 15 minutes waiting the perpetrator realizing security was on the way decided to leave Then we had to wait for security making the bus a half hour late. Lots of drama
Man, what is wrong with people, and any 747 service less than a 30 minute headway is criminal...

Back