News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

ETS Bus and General Transit Improvements

Still though he isn't wrong about BRT being a good idea for Edmonton imo. It seems to be the fastest and most cost-effective way to build out a rapid transit network. Some examples of where these systems could be implemented in Edmonton could be Whyte Ave, Jasper Ave / 124st and 118th Ave. Mainly with the goal of filling gaps in the LRT system. Also once you build these systems it would be easier to build streetcar / LRT afterwards.

He may not be wrong but I'd rather he be upfront about the fact that he has no direct experience with the place he has and perhaps incorporate people who do actually live in or are familiar with Edmonton for what the best routes are.

Heard ETS is improving service on bus routes 53 , 54 , 55 ,56 and 500 X with December 3 rd schedule changes
53-56 are expanding service into earlier and later time periods (late nights), some of which is only on weekends, and then and extending additional trips to Meadows in the case of the 55/56. The 56 I believe is 100% WEM to Meadows now.
500x is adjusting schedules and adding some trips to make the frequency consistent.

It will be interesting to see the service changes come mid-February when ETS finally pulls the 73 and re-orients around Valley Line Southeast.
The BNR was already oriented around the Valley Line. Funding for the 73 came from LRT funding of some sort, therefore, that money didn't come from existing service hours, so no service hours to redeploy. The most exciting thing then is distributing artics to other routes. I believe the plan there is the 8, 9, and 500x.

However... There is talk with I believe the Fall budget adjustments to I guess find funding to allow those service hours used by the 73 to be made permanent and then ETS would have those to play with in 2024.

From looking at CPTDB wiki, I estimate ETS has ≈60 articulated 60foot buses but I hardly ever see them on our busiest routes (8,9,4). I’ve seen them occasionally on the 9, but never on the other 2. Is there something restricting them to 40foot buses on those routes? I understand many have been running the VLSE replacement bus routes, but those ending soon should free up these buses. Only place I see them often is on express routes which makes sense for the 900x and 110x. Anyone know anything about this?

From looking at CPTDB wiki, I estimate ETS has ≈60 articulated 60foot buses but I hardly ever see them on our busiest routes (8,9,4). I’ve seen them occasionally on the 9, but never on the other 2. Is there something restricting them to 40foot buses on those routes? I understand many have been running the VLSE replacement bus routes, but those ending soon should free up these buses. Only place I see them often is on express routes which makes sense for the 900x and 110x. Anyone know anything about this?
I doubt you've even occasionally seen them on the 9 as none are assigned! Oddball things do happen mind you. There is an artic trip on the 500x as they get freed up from the Valley Line I expect them to show up on there.
Otherwise, there is nothing restricting them from the 9, and the 9 is also designated to get them. I don't recall if the 8 is. While half the 8 is the same as the old 8, so bus stops are 60' approved, the old 7 portion on the Southside is not. And that is what could restrict them from the 4. They would have to look at every bus stop and possibly modify some for artics. Having said that, during COVID, artics were deployed everywhere. They were intended for certain routes, but interlining meant you could see them anywhere. Including on the 4, and old 7.

I doubt you've even occasionally seen them on the 9 as none are assigned! Oddball things do happen mind you. There is an artic trip on the 500x as they get freed up from the Valley Line I expect them to show up on there.
Otherwise, there is nothing restricting them from the 9, and the 9 is also designated to get them. I don't recall if the 8 is. While half the 8 is the same as the old 8, so bus stops are 60' approved, the old 7 portion on the Southside is not. And that is what could restrict them from the 4. They would have to look at every bus stop and possibly modify some for artics. Having said that, during COVID, artics were deployed everywhere. They were intended for certain routes, but interlining meant you could see them anywhere. Including on the 4, and old 7.
I have once or twice but I only remember so well because I was truly shocked

I don't know about those routes specifically, but a route planner I know said it's tough to find assignments for the artics because the vast majority of the city's stops aren't designed for buses larger than 40'. It requires all stops on the route having enough lane space reserved for 60' buses, somewhere safe for people at the rear-most door to get off at, etc. I think he said route 4 is one of the few routes in the city that can handle artics, so routes like that would be considered if the city re-allocates the VLSE-replacement hours.

I don't know about those routes specifically, but a route planner I know said it's tough to find assignments for the artics because the vast majority of the city's stops aren't designed for buses larger than 40'. It requires all stops on the route having enough lane space reserved for 60' buses, somewhere safe for people at the rear-most door to get off at, etc. I think he said route 4 is one of the few routes in the city that can handle artics, so routes like that would be considered if the city re-allocates the VLSE-replacement hours.
I really hope they do, the rush crowds from the university are not pleasant

ETS service changes announced. A decent mix of frequency & span of service improvements within resources.

3 - Increased to 10 mins weekday peaks.
7 - Increased to 10 mins weekday midday.
114 - Increased to 12 mins weekday peak, 15 mins weekday midday & 20 mins weekend midday.
515 - Increased to 30 mins Saturday & Sunday early evening
516 - Increased to 15 mins weekday midday, 20 mins weekday early evening and Sat/Sunday midday, and 30 mins weekend late evening
518 - Increased to 30 mins Saturday early evening
903 - Increased to 20 mins weekday midday & 30 mins weekend early evening.

Edit:
123 - Increased from 20 mins to 15 mins weekday midday.
922 - Increased to 15 mins weekday PM peak.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, this is the service change with the additional 500 hours mandated by council, so you also see significant improvements to off-peak service on cross-town routes 52, 53, 54, 55, and 56.

ETS service changes announced. A decent mix of frequency & span of service improvements within resources.

3 - Increased to 10 mins weekday peaks.
7 - Increased to 10 mins weekday midday.
114 - Increased to 12 mins weekday peak, 15 mins weekday midday & 20 mins weekend midday.
515 - Increased to 30 mins Saturday & Sunday early evening
516 - Increased to 15 mins weekday midday, 20 mins weekday early evening and Sat/Sunday midday, and 30 mins weekend late evening
518 - Increased to 30 mins Saturday early evening
903 - Increased to 20 mins weekday midday & 30 mins weekday early evening.

Is there anywhere we can see the new schedules before Dec 3rd?

Back