News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

ETS Bus and General Transit Improvements

Is it just me or is there a lot more high frequency routes for the southside vs the northside? West end is kind of in-between.

There are two or three key routes from Central Edmonton to North Edmonton. Fort Road (with the Capital Line LRT), 97 Street and 127 Street (constrained by CN and the Calder/Walker yards). Clareview is higher density,, and much of the other north residential is between Fort Road and 142 Street.

There are two or three key routes from Central Edmonton to North Edmonton. Fort Road (with the Capital Line LRT), 97 Street and 127 Street (constrained by CN and the Calder/Walker yards). Clareview is higher density,, and much of the other north residential is between Fort Road and 142 Street.

I'm not suggesting that there aren't any routes on the northside, just that the coverage looks sparser.

Last edited:
Certainly the coverage on the north side isn't as good, though the map does hide some overlap, such as routes 9, 110X, and 120X all using 97St from Eaux Claires to 118 Ave.

Two routes that exclusively serve the north side, the 3 and the 118 were previously on this map, but their frequencies dropped to 12-15 minutes, so no longer fit the criteria.

Interestingly, Spruce Grove was within a run or two of qualifying for the map, especially between 6 and 7.

Last edited:
But an interesting addition is route 523 from Downtown to Mill Woods which I believe is unique in that it's 10 minute frequency in the outbound (from downtown) direction.

If you spot any mistakes, let me know and I'll be happy to fix them.
The 523 is an oddball. Since the start of the BNR, outbound in the AM has been 10 minute frequency, and inbound in the PM at 12 minutes. The flip side is 20 minutes outbound in the AM and 24 minutes inbound in the PM. During the summer AM inbound drops to 12 minutes, and I forget now what outbound in the PM drops to. I believe it was last September some last minute frequency increases were implemented on the 7, 523 and one or two other routes. On the 523 the service averaged every 20 minutes, but the buses were spaced so that at certain times there were 2 routes 523's running 2 minutes apart during the midday. It was a consequence of not properly planning the new services, which in the case of the 7 and 523, interlined with each other at the CN tower and so the additional buses were just kind of dumped into the schedule whether it made sense or not. This was fixed and the 523 received 20 minute midday service, properly spaced. At the same time, it wouldn't have made a lot of of sense to have the PM outbound 523's running at 24 minute frequencies when midday any direction was 20 minutes, so, they got a increase to 20 minutes.

The pre-BNR 70 had the same peak hour passenger flows, although I don't believe the schedule was a properly structured as it was as the 523 under BNR... just a lot of trips scabbed on over the years with inconsistent trip spacing. Some were school trips, some not. Some originating/ terminating at Strathcona, others Downtown.

The 82 was a Mill Woods - Downtown peak hour route that ran via 50 St and then along 82 St and through Bonnie Doon to Downtown that ran outbound to Mill Woods in the AM and inbound to Downtown in the PM. It's closest equivalent under the BNR is the 53, which although it doesn't run Downtown, it has become quite popular and has seen service increases.

Given that the 10 minute frequency is for one peak hour period, in one direction, I don't know if that should warrant it's inclusion in all honesty.

Is there a list of bus lanes for Edmonton Transit? It seems like the most popular ones are on 97 Street or 109 Street. I think there would have to be more.

Looks like Reese of RM Transit may be doing another Edmonton video

Screenshot_20230915-065948_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yeah, he’s definitely been to Calgary by now but not Edmonton if I recall correctly

I tend to take anything he says about transit in cities which he hasn't been (which you can usually tell in his videos by him crediting another person for footage) with a grain of salt. You can look up stats and maps and be drowning in data but if you haven't been you're still not getting the whole picture. Transit systems are things that work based on how we interact with them in the real world, not looking up stuff on Google. It's fine he has opinions but because of his status within online urbanism circles, his tends to get elevated, and he winds up being seen as an authority, even about places he has no direct knowledge of.

Still though he isn't wrong about BRT being a good idea for Edmonton imo. It seems to be the fastest and most cost-effective way to build out a rapid transit network. Some examples of where these systems could be implemented in Edmonton could be Whyte Ave, Jasper Ave / 124st and 118th Ave. Mainly with the goal of filling gaps in the LRT system. Also once you build these systems it would be easier to build streetcar / LRT afterwards.

Back