News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

EllisDon to Lead Prairie Link High-Speed Rail Partners - Edm-RD-Cal

I listened to the news conference today and there were a few interesting details despite it being a relatively high level announcement of a plan to create a plan. It is good to see the government trying to get a cohesive plan together since that will help support the viability of the other projects ultimately if there is some degree of integration and cooperation.

Premier talked a lot about Metrolinx, like a lot. Also mentioned that they want rail hubs in the downtown and that there is land set aside for the stations that was (apparently) purchased in the Stelmach era. Also mentioned it is likely that the commuter rail and airport link pieces are likely shorter term items while the Edmonton Calgary link would follow. Also discussed how to improve upon the existing rail services to the mountain parks and mentioned Jasper too but dont recall if she had mentioned the Via service specifically.

There's so much to figure out, such as the potential usage of the High Level Bridge, how to cut through Old Strathcona with the newly constructed Station Park in the way, and potential clashes with the streetcar.
The right of way already exists through Old Strathcona the only unknown at this point is probably how it will get across the river (whether via HLB or a new structure). There's no way the streetcar is even a consideration for a project of this magnitude, especially considering the province owns the right of way. The streetcar organization would likely be the ones to have to figure that piece out.

There's so much to figure out, such as the potential usage of the High Level Bridge, how to cut through Old Strathcona with the newly constructed Station Park in the way, and potential clashes with the streetcar.
If it ends up being actual HSR then there is no way there will be at grade crossings anywhere.. Would need to be either raised above or under Whyte anyway, don't think Station Park will matter. My bet is it sinks underground just before Whyte, then comes out similar to the LRT bridge before an underground station downtown. Hard to see it another way.

If it ends up being actual HSR then there is no way there will be at grade crossings anywhere.. Would need to be either raised above or under Whyte anyway, don't think Station Park will matter. My bet is it sinks underground just before Whyte, then comes out similar to the LRT bridge before an underground station downtown. Hard to see it another way.
Best case scenario in a non-partisan world would see the Alberta Government & City of Edmonton working together on a solution that replaces the aging out HLB and hauls commuter rail to DT.

Personally I want the HLB retained for MUP/transit usage and have the province and the city partner up on an adjacent 4-lane 2-way bridge that can accommodate HSR, passenger vehicles and 18-wheelers. The HSR can start near the Legislature and travel underground (roughly following the CP line) until it reaches 76 Ave.

For the Love of Gawd….I hope to heck this never sees the light of day…..this only helps YYC….we’re thrown a small chewed up bone to the airport. This….this instead of hospitals….. Nenshi will squash this nonsense faster then you can say……..

Watching the press conference I was encouraged with the direction I was seeing. I think this is definitely the time that Edmonton pushes forward to link the airport. Calgary as far as I can tell are on the verge of getting their direct C-Train LRT link. They're so close already it won't take much. Here in our region we have further to go figuratively and practically but if we push right now, we could get something maybe sooner than later.

Also as I brought up recently on the Metro Line thread. Maybe this is also the opportunity that St.Albert needs to get their LRT built to connect to Edmonton.

GMWtW6RWMAAypF9

GMWtW6SWIAAQPEY

GMWtW6UWQAAilC5

GMWtxB3XkAEGr8F

If this proposal actually goes beyond the "we did a feasibility study and found it's not feasible" stage I'll be very happy. This might be the only based thing that this provincial government has done, which isn't saying much since it should've been done a long time ago 😭

Also I think a Downtown station at where Cantera Strip Mall is currently would be amazing, and would work well linked with Corona and Macewan Arts stations

Back