News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

EllisDon to Lead Prairie Link High-Speed Rail Partners - Edm-RD-Cal

I don't think the median would work for corners for HSR, but I suppose corners could be at their appropriate radius with bridges over or under the highway. The highway could be re-aligned at the corners that pose problems, which might make more sense anyway.
If Brightline West can be in the Interstate 15 median through curvy mountain sections, then there should be a way to make it work for Highway 2.

If Brightline West can be in the Interstate 15 median through curvy mountain sections, then there should be a way to make it work for Highway 2.
On the stretch from Bowden to Crossfields, and more or less right up to Calgary it is straight with very little turns, would be perfect to go in the median. Area that would be a bit more difficult is around Innisfail where they either go around the big hill or tunnel through the hill. Edm to Red Deer the are a few more turns, that's where they may need a slightly straighter alignment.

I will give the UCP real credit if they do push forward on a major passenger rail project, even if it's just between Calgary to Banff. Anything that helps move the needle on a CGY-EDM line.

I will give the UCP real credit if they do push forward on a major passenger rail project, even if it's just between Calgary to Banff. Anything that helps move the needle on a CGY-EDM line.
The Calgary/Banff line is a project driven by a major UCP donor and is designed to funnel money into his Norquay and Banff Train Station properties. While the project would still be a good thing, and a great start to real passenger rail in Alberta I wouldn't go as far as giving the UCP real credit when the focus is clearly on enriching their friends. I think this is a good one to call "The right thing for the wrong reasons".

Last edited:
Its not lost on me that a number of UCP adjacent councillors openly muse about the future NOT being LRT… but here we are with provincial “lrt.”

GMWtW6RWMAAypF9

GMWtW6SWIAAQPEY

GMWtW6UWQAAilC5

GMWtxB3XkAEGr8F

Hmm, the lack of a YEG Downtown - Airport connection study to compliment Calgary's is interesting

"Minister Dreeshan says the province has been looking at increasing lanes to several major Alberta highways, and rail would alleviate that pressure on those roadways." This part is 100 percent accurate!

The plan seems skimpy on details, but if they actually pull it off I will eat my earlier words and give the UCP full credit.

Hmm, the lack of a YEG Downtown - Airport connection study to compliment Calgary's is interesting

There's so much to figure out, such as the potential usage of the High Level Bridge, how to cut through Old Strathcona with the newly constructed Station Park in the way, and potential clashes with the streetcar.

Back