News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton's Population

^The sheer number of projects in Oliver area will certainly have a bump 5 years from now.
Oh yeah:

Complete:
CX

Nearing Completion:
Glenora Park
The View

Under Construction:
CNIB
The Hat @ Oliver
Open Sky
The Mercury Block
Abbey Lane's St. John's School Redevelopment

Proposals:
Many

And while most of "Oliver" is part of Downtown Edmonton area as defined by StatsCan in 2016 and still current, there will be many new towers built east of 109th Street, South of 112th Avenue to the map boundaries. That said I am surprised there is not a larger population reported in the 2021 census.

Page 59: Map A34. Downtown Edmonton

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/91f0015m/91f0015m2021001-eng.pdff

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 10.42.16 AM.png

Statistics Canada released updated population projections. Under the medium growth scenario, Alberta is expected to grow 46.3% by 2043. Under the high growth scenario, 61.1%.

Edmonton has been growing faster than Alberta as a whole, so I think we could expect even faster growth over this time period for Edmonton.

Based on these projections, Edmonton would be looking at a population of between 2.07m to 2.28m people in 2043 - a big jump from 2021 at 1.41m in 2021.

If Edmonton continues to capture more provincial growth, we could easily be looking at a population of 2.5-2.7m + in 2043, that's just ~20 years from today.

Are we ready? This has some massive implications for things like transportation, business growth, tourism, infill and new developments.

Last edited:
Edmonton has been building LRT in one form or another for 20 years now, and it still needs work. People will complain more about bus fare going up 10 cents more than gas going up 50 cents.

We need something like 4 more mass transit lines, 3 new hospitals, probably a second ring road... if we're going to hit 2.5 mil in just 20 years.

I think Edmonton could hit 1.25 M by 2030 (assuming 1.5% annual growth), with 1.8 M Metro population. Hopefully the South Edmonton hospital is near completion. My guess is that a lot of the growth will be closer to the core (Strathcona/Downtown and locations near the LRT). I'm guessing Highway 19 will be extended east to accommodate heavier traffic, along with Highway 21 built four lanes north to Fort Saskatchewan. Hopefully the LRT is largely complete, along with an expanded EMTSC network.

Edmonton suburbs have grown by 50% in the last 20 years. It's going to take a monumental effort to redirect some of the 15,000 units built in Edmonton per year towards the core and mature neighbourhoods. As a percentage it's better than it has been but we're still by and far going to expand outwards.

Back