Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Apple Maps have added the line to the transit layer, they seem to be more on top of updating transit than google maps from what I’ve seen in other cities… plus it looks nicer
IMG_3401.png

Regarding numbers of trains, a friend who's an operator on the Valley Line told me this:

"10 min headway is 7 trains. I believe the balance is for 2 car. So 3 singles and 4 doubles"

Also, the LRT stations page (https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/lrt-station-locations) was updated today to have Valley Line info (and it was renamed LRT stops and stations). There's an interesting tidbit at the bottom: 5-minute frequency might be introduced after one month.

Screenshot_20231102-123752_Chrome.jpg

Apple Maps have added the line to the transit layer, they seem to be more on top of updating transit than google maps from what I’ve seen in other cities… plus it looks nicer
View attachment 517184
Google has the stations implemented into the maps already. It seems like they're waiting for the line to open until they decide to add it on to the app.

Regarding numbers of trains, a friend who's an operator on the Valley Line told me this:

"10 min headway is 7 trains. I believe the balance is for 2 car. So 3 singles and 4 doubles"

Also, the LRT stations page (https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/lrt-station-locations) was updated today to have Valley Line info (and it was renamed LRT stops and stations). There's an interesting tidbit at the bottom: 5-minute frequency might be introduced after one month.

View attachment 517269
5 minutes would make it more frequent than even the capital line.

First impressions riding today from a friend:

"
* The vehicles are sleek and modern with many nice design and accessibility touches
* The windows are big and bright
* Seeing the driver behind the glass made it feel more personal and safer than the older LRT vehicles
* Views of the city from the bridge and Davies are quite nice and will be popular
* People will have to get used to the tighter quarters inside the vehicles but there's a nice variety of seating options.
* Vehicles run mostly smoothly but there's a few wobbly sections by Davies
* Speed felt fast and the vehicles have some considerable torque
* The social challenges around 102st seem more daunting for the driver now that you'll be able to see what they see. Lots of people.
* Funnest part - lots of new audio jingles and beeps that people will love (or not haha)
* The public art felt more noticeable and attractive when you're there in person since you can be closer to it.

Overall, very nice experience. Given all the challenges over the years, I think Edmontonians will be very impressed. Feels like the city has grown up with this LRT line."

First impressions riding today from a friend:

"
* The vehicles are sleek and modern with many nice design and accessibility touches
* The windows are big and bright
* Seeing the driver behind the glass made it feel more personal and safer than the older LRT vehicles
* Views of the city from the bridge and Davies are quite nice and will be popular
* People will have to get used to the tighter quarters inside the vehicles but there's a nice variety of seating options.
* Vehicles run mostly smoothly but there's a few wobbly sections by Davies
* Speed felt fast and the vehicles have some considerable torque
* The social challenges around 102st seem more daunting for the driver now that you'll be able to see what they see. Lots of people.
* Funnest part - lots of new audio jingles and beeps that people will love (or not haha)
* The public art felt more noticeable and attractive when you're there in person since you can be closer to it.

Overall, very nice experience. Given all the challenges over the years, I think Edmontonians will be very impressed. Feels like the city has grown up with this LRT line."
Very cool. Appreciate you sharing.

Presumably that is under the 5 minute operating scheme. I would imagine running 10 minutes at peak through February should see every train being 2 cars, or else they'll be setting up riders for potential disappointment if the 1 car trains can't handle the crowds easily. And certainly the first weekend they should run 2 cars for those wanting to ride the line for the first time.

I think we have 26, enough for all train sets to have 2 cars at 10 minute frequencies but only half the train sets can have 2 cars at 5 minute frequencies, with a few spares (10-15% is the norm)

Valley Line West is adding 38 which should be enough for 5 minutes 2 car trainsets for the entire route.
VLW LRT is a 46 car purchase.

Back