Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

Muttart Station is fully open

20231031_162330.jpg

20231031_162414.jpg

20231031_162447.jpg

20231031_162515.jpg

20231031_162622.jpg

The Google Maps LRT travel distances (in green) are up. Looks like 29 minutes from Mill Woods to Downtown, about a saving of 10 minutes.
That would be a good saving during shitty weather. My commute from St Albert to 98 and Jasper used to take 40-45 min on good days. Winter weather could bump it up to over an hour. I would have loved an LRT then.

Current commute from St Al to Parsons and Ellerslie rd is 32 min on a good day. 38 during the last snow.

This LRT will take a bit of the traffic off that route which will be good.

One of the issues of a low floor system
I don't think this is specifically a low floor issue as the Capital Line LRT bridge has fenced tunnel portals on either side, so access is much riskier from either Government Centre or University. The at grade station at Muttart gives easier access to the bridge, but based on the photo from the post above, it still looks precarious to ride a bike on.

Having the tracks below platform level at stations certainly discourages this type of behavior more than having them at platform level. It also significantly reduces the likelihood of someone accidentally ending up there. Like for example someone who's intoxicated or under the influence wandering onto the bridge, not to mention people just being idiots. People are a lot less likely to try something like that if they have to drop into metre deep trench, rather than just strolling on or hopping a small fence.

I’m guessing if the Valley Lline starts with 10-minute frequencies, there will be six trains (12 train cars) in use.

How many cars in total, and how many spares. Iirc, we will not be able to have full 2 car trains, some were going to be only 1 car

I think we have 26, enough for all train sets to have 2 cars at 10 minute frequencies but only half the train sets can have 2 cars at 5 minute frequencies, with a few spares (10-15% is the norm)

Valley Line West is adding 38 which should be enough for 5 minutes 2 car trainsets for the entire route.

Having the tracks below platform level at stations certainly discourages this type of behavior more than having them at platform level. It also significantly reduces the likelihood of someone accidentally ending up there. Like for example someone who's intoxicated or under the influence wandering onto the bridge, not to mention people just being idiots. People are a lot less likely to try something like that if they have to drop into metre deep trench, rather than just strolling on or hopping a small fence.

If some jerk-off is stupid enough to wander or cycle on top of the Tawatina Bridge, all I'll say is let natural selection do its work.

Back