Valley Line LRT/ Valley Line West | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

From today as well
20231029_170137.jpg

20231029_165319.jpg

Would an express bus route from Heritage Valley-Ellerslie Road-91 Street-Argyll-83 Street-Bonnie Doon Station be a useful connection? This route could continue north on 85 Street, east on 106 Avenue, north on Gretzky Drive, east on 112 Avenue, north on 50 Street, terminating at Clareview Station for a north-south route.

Would an express bus route from Heritage Valley-Ellerslie Road-91 Street-Argyll-83 Street-Bonnie Doon Station be a useful connection? This route could continue north on 85 Street, east on 106 Avenue, north on Gretzky Drive, east on 112 Avenue, north on 50 Street, terminating at Clareview Station for a north-south route.
That's an intersting proposal. My first thought was why not simply go into MWTC instead of Bonnie Doon. Turns out going to MWTC is 7 minutes quicker, but, you have then ride the LRT right from MWTC which is going to add more than 7 minutes to your journey.

So then my next concern is ridership. Hertigate Valley TC itself is in no mans land right now. It has grown to a few bus routes, but, it is not by any stretch a major transit centre right now. Since it's an express bus, we'd be looking at limited stops. 111 St, maybe 101 St, 91 St. There would be oppotunities for riders to walk to those stops, but more likely some transfers. In all likelyhood, Those are the rides who would benefit from this route, those south of the Henday.
North of the Henday is ugly. 91 St travels between the edge of Mill Woods and commercial. It's a long walk from most bus stops, and 91 St isn't conductive to bus stop infrastructure. See: https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.4527...e0!5s20180701T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu Just take a look around and see what it would take to transfer from 56 from either direction to a bus on 91 St.
Granted, Costco did result in some proper bus stops, but, those were eliminated, like the one above, with the BNR changes. For most users from Mill Woods to access this express bus, they would need to transfer. Since they are so relatively close to the VLSE LRT at this point, it would make sense to ride a bus and transfer to the VLSE LRT directly, rather than add an extra transfer into their trip if they take the express.

I think in time an express straight down Ellerslie, perhaps from Windermere, to MWTC will make sense, hell, maybe as even part of the 31 South Campus express. Linking south of the Henday with multiple LRT options, and potentially faster options than local routes that travel E/W from Century Park to MWTC,

That's an intersting proposal. My first thought was why not simply go into MWTC instead of Bonnie Doon. Turns out going to MWTC is 7 minutes quicker, but, you have then ride the LRT right from MWTC which is going to add more than 7 minutes to your journey.

So then my next concern is ridership. Hertigate Valley TC itself is in no mans land right now. It has grown to a few bus routes, but, it is not by any stretch a major transit centre right now. Since it's an express bus, we'd be looking at limited stops. 111 St, maybe 101 St, 91 St. There would be oppotunities for riders to walk to those stops, but more likely some transfers. In all likelyhood, Those are the rides who would benefit from this route, those south of the Henday.
North of the Henday is ugly. 91 St travels between the edge of Mill Woods and commercial. It's a long walk from most bus stops, and 91 St isn't conductive to bus stop infrastructure. See: https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.4527...e0!5s20180701T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu Just take a look around and see what it would take to transfer from 56 from either direction to a bus on 91 St.
Granted, Costco did result in some proper bus stops, but, those were eliminated, like the one above, with the BNR changes. For most users from Mill Woods to access this express bus, they would need to transfer. Since they are so relatively close to the VLSE LRT at this point, it would make sense to ride a bus and transfer to the VLSE LRT directly, rather than add an extra transfer into their trip if they take the express.

I think in time an express straight down Ellerslie, perhaps from Windermere, to MWTC will make sense, hell, maybe as even part of the 31 South Campus express. Linking south of the Henday with multiple LRT options, and potentially faster options than local routes that travel E/W from Century Park to MWTC,
91st Street was built to be upgraded to a freeway in a very wide ROW (still should be imo) so stops along it don’t make much sense. Great for an express shuttle though

Back