The Edward | 40m | 13s | ANU Developments | Gardner Architecture

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
There seems to be a good chunk of surface parking and vacant land on the southwest corner of the property that's not above underground parking. A mixed-use tower could definitely go there.

As for the rest of the property, even if mostly single-storey CRUs, repurposing the surface level into a pedestrian-oriented high street concept with limited 15-minute parking would be amazing.

I'll make sure to grab a pic of this whenever I'm by here again but, wow, standing in the parking lot of the mid-rise building makes you realize just how much this area has densified with 121 west and this building. Very cool stuff and hopefully the Brewery District will consider converting some parking lots to mixed-use res in the next few years for the Valley Line.
I agree, and essentially another TOD for when Valley Line West opens - great to see.

I hope these guys, ANU Developments, looks at doing a few more projects like this around downtown. Not breathtaking but not terrible.

I see on their website they are doing an office conversion in Oliver slated for summer 2024. Anyone know more about this one?

1698415403278.png

I hope these guys, ANU Developments, looks at doing a few more projects like this around downtown. Not breathtaking but not terrible.

I see on their website they are doing an office conversion in Oliver slated for summer 2024. Anyone know more about this one?

View attachment 515892
This looks incredible.
I believe it would be that building on the corner of 102 Ave and 124 St.

View attachment 515892
Woah. Big change.

Pretty certain @ChazYEG is correct and Plaza 124 is whats depicted in the render. Looks a lot different but the 3 tiers on the left as well as the parking kind of give it away.
Makes sense for conversion, good location, has parking.
Personally I like the look of it right now more than the render, but it's not bad. If we get a more high quality visual instead of the image above my opinion could easily change on that.
I really hope they can find something interesting to do with the tiered terraces on each side of the building.

Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 11.13.35 AM.png

Pretty certain @ChazYEG is correct and Plaza 124 is whats depicted in the render. Looks a lot different but the 3 tiers on the left as well as the parking kind of give it away.
Makes sense for conversion, good location, has parking.
Personally I like the look of it right now more than the render, but it's not bad. If we get a more high quality visual instead of the image above my opinion could easily change on that.
I really hope they can find something interesting to do with the tiered terraces on each side of the building.

View attachment 515950
Funny enough, wha gave it away for me was the ground level, with the columns and the underground parking entrances.
I Do like how it looks now, but I guess it could do with a refresh. In person, especially, those blue railings looks horrible, IMO, so maybe something could be done there. Street interaction could also do with improvements, although part of it does have to come from the city.

Funny enough, wha gave it away for me was the ground level, with the columns and the underground parking entrances.
I Do like how it looks now, but I guess it could do with a refresh. In person, especially, those blue railings looks horrible, IMO, so maybe something could be done there. Street interaction could also do with improvements, although part of it does have to come from the city.

Looks good. It is unfortunate to have the parkade and loading entrances at the front of the building facing 124 st and crossing the sidewalk as opposed to the back of the building. Or is there some limitation back there?

Looks good. It is unfortunate to have the parkade and loading entrances at the front of the building facing 124 st and crossing the sidewalk as opposed to the back of the building. Or is there some limitation back there?
There are a few issues: It would mean that people getting in and out would need to cross a bike lane on 102 Ave, or force the implementation of an additional traffic light on 103 Ave an 124 st, which would mean 3 traffic lights within 3 blocks, and as much as I don't care as much for traffic flow in streets like 124 st, this would probably be too much.

Also, the entrance to the back alley on 103 ave is VERY narrow (and so is the whole alley), and the 102 Ave entrance is too close to the intersection with 124 st, where traffic is very intense, and could make accidents all too frequent, especially with that weird 102 Ave and 125 St intersection.

There might have also been some pushback from the houses on 125 St, since all of their garages face the back alley, and it is already very narrow. The increased traffic there would've had residents there pick up torches and pitchforks. Especially when this was built, I can't imagine it ever getting past that.

I don't like it being where it is, but it was honestly, I think it was the best they could do.

I understand that the Brewery District with its Underground Parking had made allowances for adding additional Retail (single-storey) structures that would replace surface parking over time, but there was no specific allowances made for high-rise or even mid-rise residential structures.
I mean either way, something besides parking would be nice 😁

Back