South Edmonton Hospital & Health Campus | ?m | ?s | Province of Alberta

A few pages back someone with inside knowledge said this was moving forward. I don't know if you all should be so negative about it.

1699543241761.png

A few pages back someone with inside knowledge said this was moving forward. I don't know if you all should be so negative about it.
Inside in the premiers office or a cabinet ministers office is different than inside knowledge in Alberta Infrastructure short of maybe a Deputy ministers office. There are still a lot of issues with the site itself that won't be solved overnight.

As I've said elsewhere on this board in relation to other projects, I go based on past performance. I'm not the only one who fears that this government--which feels that it "owes" Edmonton nothing given that the capital voted entirely NDP--will find a way to delay or postpone this project indefinitely, attributing it to the state of the economy, to increases in material and labour costs, to competing needs elsewhere in the province, to the war in Gaza, to the fact that the Frasier reboot is so terrible, to the fact that even if the hospital were built we wouldn't have enough doctors and nurses to staff it, etc. etc.

I'll believe it's moving forward when I see contracts signed, a definitive timeline issued and actual, significant activity on the project site.

Probably because UCP made a big dog and pony show about doing earthworks on the site in 2021, and since then have done virtually zero aside from assign some vague budget figures for it that they'll slash the second all the juicy resource royalty revenue dries up.

They walked away from the Super Lab after dirt was already being turned. They don't even have to cancel this one they can just simply not move forward and continue to blame the pipeline boogeyman, just like they continue to do now. Sunk cost isn't a fallacy the UCP really subscribes to.

The only project I see them doing is the central pharmacy. And Red Deer hospital will get all the funding for any new hospital. I remember being in Rocky Mountain house last year and looking at a small expansion on the health centre. I asked what it was and the municipality guy said it was a new surgical centre. But said he didn't know when it would open because they could not find any doctors that wanted to use it.

As for local the only major HC will be the Nurosurgical & ICU centre. Which has already been downsized from a stand alone to a section of the Walter C now.

I get that there are delays and other competing political priorities, but at some point further delay becomes negligence and neglect. Enough with the excuses now.

It really needs to start to move ahead quickly now, the city isn't going to stop growing while the Alberta government gets its s*it together and the over capacity problems are only going to get worse.

If the politicians and bureaucrats can't grasp that, headlines of death in the future will be blamed on them. I hope at least they do not want that.

I get that there are delays and other competing political priorities, but at some point further delay becomes negligence and neglect. Enough with the excuses now.

It really needs to start to move ahead quickly now, the city isn't going to stop growing while the Alberta government gets its s*it together and the over capacity problems are only going to get worse.

If the politicians and bureaucrats can't grasp that, headlines of death in the future will be blamed on them. I hope at least they do not want that.
It never bothered the Klein Conservatives when patients were jammed in the hallways in hospitals during the worst of the cuts in the 1990s. People were dying in corridors and it didn't seem to make any difference...nor did it to the public, who continued to vote Conservative solidly until 2015.

My fear is that with this latest reorganization of AHS the hospital project is going to get lost in the chaos. There will be so much upheaval going on and so many competing priorities that it will just fall off the radar.

I'll say it again: elected municipal councils in the Edmonton area (not just the City of Edmonton) need to come together and pressure the province to get the hospital built. Additional capacity benefits everyone living in the region...Fort Saskatchewan, Spruce Grove, Morinville, Stony Plain, Beaumont. If all of these councils start speaking with one voice and telling their UCP MLAs (some of whom are in Cabinet) that they want this project done, it becomes less of an "Edmonton project" which can be delayed indefinitely in order to punish the city for voting for Rachel Notley.

At that time Klein and his supporters were focused on, some would say obsessed with eliminating a deficit. At this point, I believe Alberta is still running a surplus, so no excuses really.

Yup the Klien Years were deficit reduction. It affected the rural hospitals more. as a number were converted to health centres and long term care facilities. I looked at a number of community hospitals that had maintence staff, that was then cut to 1 maintenance person for 3-5 town hospitals.

I hope all of you who are worried about this are also sending emails and making calls to the government and opposition (which I did this morning myself). I also fear this is going to be lost in the shuffle now, so I've asked for answers from the UCP and for the NDP to push this issue further.

Edmonton had to fight for everything. Schools, health care, infrastructure, you name it. Danielle Smith doesn’t really have much understanding either. Edmonton and Northern Alberta generate the most industrial activity.

The UCP is firehosing right now. So much wild stuff coming out that no one can remember it all, or have time to be outraged by any of it.

Hospitals way over capacity, fracturing and possible privatization of the healthcare system, meeting with Tucker Carlson, Caught lying about why they paused renewables, firing the ethics commissioner, trying to leave the CPP, changes to the municipal government act (early but i really question the intentions behind this), the recent policy convention with plenty of eyebrow raising resolutions. Anything else I'm missing?

As I've said elsewhere on this board in relation to other projects, I go based on past performance. I'm not the only one who fears that this government--which feels that it "owes" Edmonton nothing given that the capital voted entirely NDP--will find a way to delay or postpone this project indefinitely, attributing it to the state of the economy, to increases in material and labour costs, to competing needs elsewhere in the province, to the war in Gaza, to the fact that the Frasier reboot is so terrible, to the fact that even if the hospital were built we wouldn't have enough doctors and nurses to staff it, etc. etc.

I'll believe it's moving forward when I see contracts signed, a definitive timeline issued and actual, significant activity on the project site.

They UCP can’t keep getting away with it though. They narrowly won the election and if the NDP flips more seats in Calgary and the Donut, they run the risk of narrowly losing. They’ve got to at least try to win some of the South Edmonton ridings..

Back