South Edmonton Hospital & Health Campus | ?m | ?s | Province of Alberta

Rumor amongst the nurses at the Canadian Blood Services building (I donate there regularly) is that the Stollery wants to build their new building on the site of CBS. That seems to check out, at least since CBS will be moving to another location somewhere in 2025 as their lease isn't being renewed. I think it's an odd site to build on since there are still many less-utlilized sites on campus that would be much easier and cheaper to build on (i.e. parking lots).
I suspect they want immediate proximity (incl. tunnels which already exist for CBS) for patient transfer as there will still likely be procedures that will be done at the U of A itself, among many other reasons

The CCI for instance, despite being a standalone hospital on campus property, requires EMS transport for patients who require a procedure at the U of A. It's a huge PITA for patients who sometimes have to wait for hours after to get transport back and frankly not a great usage of ambulance resources.

Rumor amongst the nurses at the Canadian Blood Services building (I donate there regularly) is that the Stollery wants to build their new building on the site of CBS. That seems to check out, at least since CBS will be moving to another location somewhere in 2025 as their lease isn't being renewed. I think it's an odd site to build on since there are still many less-utlilized sites on campus that would be much easier and cheaper to build on (i.e. parking lots).

I suspect they want immediate proximity (incl. tunnels which already exist for CBS) for patient transfer as there will still likely be procedures that will be done at the U of A itself, among many other reasons

The CCI for instance, despite being a standalone hospital on campus property, requires EMS transport for patients who require a procedure at the U of A. It's a huge PITA for patients who sometimes have to wait for hours after to get transport back and frankly not a great usage of ambulance resources.

It's rather small, isn't it? There is a parking lot to the south and a parkade east of CBS.

1701108322009.png

As I've said elsewhere on this board in relation to other projects, I go based on past performance. I'm not the only one who fears that this government--which feels that it "owes" Edmonton nothing given that the capital voted entirely NDP--will find a way to delay or postpone this project indefinitely, attributing it to the state of the economy, to increases in material and labour costs, to competing needs elsewhere in the province, to the war in Gaza, to the fact that the Frasier reboot is so terrible, to the fact that even if the hospital were built we wouldn't have enough doctors and nurses to staff it, etc. etc.

I'll believe it's moving forward when I see contracts signed, a definitive timeline issued and actual, significant activity on the project site.
I share your thoughts - can’t trust this Premier or UCP to do anything good for Edmonton.

Throwing a dart: suppose a NEW Stollery comes in at $1B vs $4B for the new SW - 'ol Danni there figures she "gave" us a new Stollery AND gained 200 brand new beds for the low, low price of $1B!!!

It's rather small, isn't it? There is a parking lot to the south and a parkade east of CBS.

View attachment 523240
My interpretation of @Avenuer post is they're going to demo the structure of the existing CBS building. They can then expand the new Stollery building into the southern surface lot if they require a larger foot print.

Don't think demo'ing the staff parkade nor the public parkade is a great idea because unfortunately, parking is still highly required, especially for the Stollery given the number of out of towners.

Throwing a dart: suppose a NEW Stollery comes in at $1B vs $4B for the new SW - 'old Danni there figures she "gave" us a new Stollery AND gained 200 brand new beds for the low, low price of $1B!!!
Stollery also is more funded through donations which alleviates cost on the Alberta Government's share.

My interpretation of @Avenuer post is they're going to demo the structure of the existing CBS building. They can then expand the new Stollery building into the southern surface lot if they require a larger foot print.

Don't think demo'ing the staff parkade nor the public parkade is a great idea because unfortunately, parking is still highly required, especially for the Stollery given the number of out of towners.
Probably come with a giant parkade ala the MacKenzie.....

As this project slowly withers away. I see in BC there is a plan to build 22 new health centres, all close to a billion $s. That along with the current ones like the new St Pauls at 2Bil.

As this project slowly withers away. I see in BC there is a plan to build 22 new health centres, all close to a billion $s. That along with the current ones like the new St Pauls at 2Bil.
Yeah, you can see the priorities for "wealthy" Alberta - replacing or supplementing 30 to 50 year old hospitals does not seem to be one of them, despite the governments current comfortable financial position.

Out of curiosity, why is CBS moving? Lack of space?
As per the Stollery, that parkade to the East would suffice with an underground parkade.

Out of curiosity, why is CBS moving? Lack of space?
As per the Stollery, that parkade to the East would suffice with an underground parkade.
Apparently their lease was not renewed by AHS.

Back