South Edmonton Hospital & Health Campus | ?m | ?s | Province of Alberta

I expect if they don't spend the money on this new hospital now, they will have to spend a significant amount soon to keep the Miz going or expand one of the other hospitals significantly.

Since the last new hospital in Edmonton was built it has been over 30 years and the city has doubled in size. You can't put things like this off forever.

I expect if they don't spend the money on this new hospital now, they will have to spend a significant amount soon to keep the Miz going or expand one of the other hospitals significantly.

Since the last new hospital in Edmonton was built it has been over 30 years and the city has doubled in size. You can't put things like this off forever.
I'm afraid of a 23 Avenue interchange situation here.

Recall that the 23 Avenue and Gateway Boulevard interchange was repeatedly put off by the City and its Councils. Meanwhile, the volume grew to the level that the intersection almost failed and became (at the low point) the most dangerous intersection in terms of accidents in Edmonton. When the problem was absolutely unavoidable, the City finally broke down and had the interchange constructed. But in the interim the price had skyrocketed and taxpayers ended up paying several times the original projected cost if the intersection hadn't been repeatedly delayed ($250M vs. $75 IIRC). Part of the problem was the fact that the procrastination meant that the project finally got built while the economy was red-hot and construction costs, materials, etc. were through the roof. There were also only two bidders--Kiewit and Graham--because other companies already had so much work on their hands.

The last hospital built in Edmonton was in the late 1980's. So no surprise to see stories like this and exactly why we need another now

The last hospital built in Edmonton was in the late 1980's. So no surprise to see stories like this and exactly why we need another now

Her Worshipfulness' constituents voted for this........and the way her priorities are focused on trains to Ian's faux rich playground of Canmore and building the fLamers a new arena........we shouldn't be surprised.......

The site as mentioned was the best location from what I heard, The other location was west of the Miz near the reserve. Yes the Province owns the lad to the south of the Henday and west of 127st. In fact the Body farm was in that location. This new hospital was to have the Acute Care 500 bed hospital as the central focus but was also to have a long term care Serniors facity and other parts that are not always associated with hospitals. The last price I heard was up around 4B.
Have you heard anything more recently about the future of this hospital?

Her Worshipfulness' constituents voted for this........and the way her priorities are focused on trains to Ian's faux rich playground of Canmore and building the fLamers a new arena........we shouldn't be surprised.......
I suppose we should get ready for more headlines just like this then.

Doctors say 2 Edmonton hospitals at 150% capacity, experiencing very long ER waits​

Smith's government has consistently treated Edmonton like a "fart in the room" to quote a conservative MP from a couple years ago speaking about Alberta. They have a vested interest in investing as little as possible in Edmonton, as an NDP stronghold. Don't expect to see any movement on any major provincial infrastructure projects in Edmonton until we don't have a UCP government anymore.

Smith's government has consistently treated Edmonton like a "fart in the room" to quote a conservative MP from a couple years ago speaking about Alberta. They have a vested interest in investing as little as possible in Edmonton, as an NDP stronghold. Don't expect to see any movement on any major provincial infrastructure projects in Edmonton until we don't have a UCP government anymore.
Like a "popcorn" or "beef enchilada" fart? Agreed

So will the headlines have to go to 200% over capacity or 300%. How many people will have to die before anything is done?
That last bit I believe we are already at the point of people dyeing needlessly or for not getting timely help. This gov will go through the motions for the next 3 years then say we do not have the money or the capacity does not justify a major hospital at this time since everyone will be going to private clinics.

That last bit I believe we are already at the point of people dyeing needlessly or for not getting timely help. This gov will go through the motions for the next 3 years then say we do not have the money or the capacity does not justify a major hospital at this time since everyone will be going to private clinics.
I agree. They will just milk this along until the next economic downturn and then shelf it saying there is no money.

Back