South Edmonton Hospital & Health Campus | ?m | ?s | Province of Alberta

This hospital was needed 10 years ago. Massive federal immigration targets, aging boomer population and swaths of people leaving Ontario and BC for Alberta all indicate this should and needs to be one of the top priorities for funding. I’m no UCP fan but I don’t think there is any cancellation plan, just still hospitals take years upon years to plan, design, program, etc. Just playing catchup from remnants of piss poor healthcare management from the Klein/Stelmach/Redford PC era, which is when this hospital should have been announced.

Point being they haven’t prioritized it or given any updates as to the progress. May as well be dead let alone try to compensate for decades of conservative neglect.

Perhaps it's time we look into creating a political party with the platform of splitting Alberta into two provinces. Such a party would get my vote.

This hospital was needed 10 years ago. Massive federal immigration targets, aging boomer population and swaths of people leaving Ontario and BC for Alberta all indicate this should and needs to be one of the top priorities for funding. I’m no UCP fan but I don’t think there is any cancellation plan, just still hospitals take years upon years to plan, design, program, etc. Just playing catchup from remnants of piss poor healthcare management from the Klein/Stelmach/Redford PC era, which is when this hospital should have been announced.
Design work has started and stopped on this for at least 5 years now. I know people that were involved. They are quite frustrated.

But like the Brain surgury centre if it gets built it will be a pared down version. Maybe even a community health centre.

Design work has started and stopped on this for at least 5 years now. I know people that were involved. They are quite frustrated.

But like the Brain surgury centre if it gets built it will be a pared down version. Maybe even a community health centre.
We are governed by sadists.

Yet, just this week a government MLA said the delay was because a "business case" was not made for this hospital. What planet do these politicians live on?

So I presume that is merely an accrual for 3 years and construction won't start until they have dollar amount saved?

That's not how it works.

Dollars ramp up through initial Schematic Design, Design Development, Construction Documents and then into construction.

That's not how it works.

Dollars ramp up through initial Schematic Design, Design Development, Construction Documents and then into construction.
I had heard they were into DD when the Kenny gov pulled the plug. As it is there is no firm commitment for a construction schedule. Some civil work was done but at this point they should have been in the ground already. this was going to be about 1B project similar to the SW campus in Calgary.. Hell Red Deer is also Still in Planning. the only real commitment was the 6-7 million for the Calgary Cancer Centre. (Didn't that just open). after the next election there will be no money to build it out. This is starting to look like the GP hospital fiasco.

I had heard they were into DD when the Kenny gov pulled the plug. As it is there is no firm commitment for a construction schedule. Some civil work was done but at this point they should have been in the ground already. this was going to be about 1B project similar to the SW campus in Calgary.. Hell Red Deer is also Still in Planning. the only real commitment was the 6-7 million for the Calgary Cancer Centre. (Didn't that just open). after the next election there will be no money to build it out. This is starting to look like the GP hospital fiasco.
I'll take this as a bit of unexpected good news for now, but you have a point. Who knows if it will survive after the election. Things have been announced and deferred or cancelled before.

south-edmonton-hospital-1-6266184-1677972026161.jpg

south-edmonton-hospital-site-1-6265465-1675887837164.jpg

Back