South Edmonton Hospital & Health Campus | ?m | ?s | Province of Alberta

Maybe a protest is not a bad idea... I am sure that the NDP and supporters would make a lot of noise. Much better than raising a white flag.

That's probably the only way this will happen. Citizens need to speak up and the mayor and city council need to raise a stink. The UCP will want to regain seats in the capital next election and if it doesn't deliver on projects that citizens are making clear are a priority, that's less likely to happen. The squeaky wheel gets the grease

We haven't had a hospital built here since when, 1988, Grey Nuns. We are WELL overdue for a new hospital, especially considering how the city has grown.

Emailing everyone under the sun (Sohi, Smith, City Council) is a great way to get the ball rolling.

I have been talking with some people that are involved and there is a great frustration. (as what I've been told). There is nothing clear on the horizon with this moving forward. Programing will change by the time it does get built and a lot of money will be spent to bring the facility up to the latest codes when done.

I kinda agree with TC. There is no political will to have this project done. But we will not see anymore money spent on health facilities in rural Alberta either. Just looking at RFPs there is very little coming. Hell even school construction has dropped way off. Not having an MLA should not preclude any work getting done but there will be "make Edmonton pay for not backing us" mentality and or Edmonton and Calgary already get to much support so why should we help. I have a number of friends with Alberta Health and AHS and they are all very frustrated with the UCP. There does not seem to be any consultation when UCP make decisions or if there is the discussion must bring back the answer that is wanted. I look back when the Klein gov started the cuts to Healthcare. Some projects that we flagged back then and again 15 years ago are still not on the radar. Over 20 years ago I was in one medium sized town hospital doing some functional testing on an OR. We found it was unsafe and did not meet code. The GoA shut the OR facility down and has never reopened it. and that town has not seen any new hospital or upgrade in that time. I just wished that the rural areas that support the Conservatives would realize how badly they are screwed.

Political will seems great just before an election, but seems to evaporate quickly after that.

We haven't had a hospital built here since when, 1988, Grey Nuns. We are WELL overdue for a new hospital, especially considering how the city has grown.

Emailing everyone under the sun (Sohi, Smith, City Council) is a great way to get the ball rolling.
Everyone on City Council will already be on side with getting the hospital underway. I think the key is to lobby the MLAs from the Ring: people like Dale Nally, Nate Glubish and Searle Turton (all in Cabinet). They represent ridings whose residents depend heavily on Edmonton for health services and would thus benefit from extra capacity in the Capital Region.

Everyone on City Council will already be on side with getting the hospital underway. I think the key is to lobby the MLAs from the Ring: people like Dale Nally, Nate Glubish and Searle Turton (all in Cabinet). They represent ridings whose residents depend heavily on Edmonton for health services and would thus benefit from extra capacity in the Capital Region.
I agree, the thought that Edmonton has no representation is false. The Metro area has the MLAs they just need to have balls.

Soooo, talking with a friend that was involved but is now moving onto another project. There is no movement at all right now. If Planning is being done it is at the AHS and AH level and not the consulting level.
All the resources are on the Red Deer hospital and they are waiting for the Con docs. So Red Deer may get started in the fall or the new year. Then maybe they can start on the SW Campus development. So say 5-10 years for this one to be of use. Sound like this is going to be a huge project , in the multi billion range.

Also some planning has started on a stand alone Stolley. But again no commitment to get this done any time soon.

Soooo, talking with a friend that was involved but is now moving onto another project. There is no movement at all right now. If Planning is being done it is at the AHS and AH level and not the consulting level.
All the resources are on the Red Deer hospital and they are waiting for the Con docs. So Red Deer may get started in the fall or the new year. Then maybe they can start on the SW Campus development. So say 5-10 years for this one to be of use. Sound like this is going to be a huge project , in the multi billion range.

Also some planning has started on a stand alone Stolley. But again no commitment to get this done any time soon.

The Stollery has started its efforts but will still take time.

the funding won't be solely from the government so it will still take time. it is sorely needed though.
What ever happens these are long lead times. My brother is running the new St Pauls in Vancouver. 2.5 billion and still at least 2 years away. Construction started 2 years ago and they are still pouring concrete.

Yes but they are keeping it a secret. I figure somewhere near the current site or by the SW campus. A Dr I know says that they liked having more internist close by. That's why Stollery works so well.

Back