Riverbank Landing | 50m | 15s | Boudreau Communities | Arc Studio

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Its the Edmonton Metro Region so it really does not matter. It's only a matter of time before taxpayers want efficiency and axe these small city bureaucrats to keep taxes down. I am surprised the UCP has not mandated a single metro municipal government to create tax efficiency.

^? Have you seen the metro region breakdowns of Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal? There's literally dozens of municipalities touching each other and boxing each other in, and there is absolutely zero indication any amalgamations will ever happen. Full amalgamations are super rare these days, and I don't see a City like St. Albert ever giving up autonomy.

:Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Toronto's big amalgamation is the most recent major one I can think of, and politically it hasn't done that city any favours; basically giving too much weight to the suburbs mean urban issues don't get the attention they desperately need.

Last edited:
Yup, I don't think any municipality is going to give up their autonomy at this point. It would be wildly unpopular in places like St. Albert, Sherwood Park, and Leduc to attempt that, especially since many of the residents live their specifically because they aren't in Edmonton, and don't need to pay for infrastructure there or be impacted by its politics.

Although EdmTrekker is correct that it could be done by the provincial government, although that would probably be a bad move since it would likely hurt their popularity in the annexed suburbs where they are more popular than in Edmonton itself.

I can't think of one amalgamation anywhere that ended up benefitting the usurped. Edmonton annexed Strathcona, Jasper Place and Beverly historically -- no efficiency increases, no residence benefits -- big is not better, it is just BIG. I like that communities get to identify themselves in their own way.

I can't think of one amalgamation anywhere that ended up benefitting the usurped. Edmonton annexed Strathcona, Jasper Place and Beverly historically -- no efficiency increases, no residence benefits -- big is not better, it is just BIG. I like that communities get to identify themselves in their own way.

If Edmonton could annex Strathcona County's portion of Refinery Row and Nisku in Leduc County, the City would get a sweet, sweet boost to property tax income. Either County would be staunchly opposed to that, however.

Agreed, it would be a nice boost to the city's coffers. A large scale Edmonton metro amalgamation would be fascinating simply due to the insane discrepancy in tax sources amongst the different municipalities in the area. Ironically, St. Albert residents would likely benefit the most of all as the vast majority of their tax base is residential - though as others have pointed out, I would imagine they would still strongly resist the process.

Agreed, it would be a nice boost to the city's coffers. A large scale Edmonton metro amalgamation would be fascinating simply due to the insane discrepancy in tax sources amongst the different municipalities in the area. Ironically, St. Albert residents would likely benefit the most of all as the vast majority of their tax base is residential - though as others have pointed out, I would imagine they would still strongly resist the process.
Of course, fascinating does not mean 'slam-dunk efficiency gain'

Yeah that's a much different scale. Hope the quality stays what it was from the original renders.

1602777517866.png
1602777522342.png

Back