News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

Also, will rental company notify you when your application is refused? Or you simply got ghosted? How much time needed to be contacted after submission of application?
Depends on the company. 3-7 days in some cases.

Yes you generally need to show employment.

Or you could try talking to them and show that you have savings built up to pay the rent if you don't have income.

Could a person buy an apartment lump sum (i.e. one's own saving, in cash, in full) in Edmonton? I know this may sound a dumb question, but just to check if I missed anything.

Could a person buy an apartment lump sum (i.e. one's own saving, in cash, in full) in Edmonton? I know this may sound a dumb question, but just to check if I missed anything.
Best option is likely to pre-pay 3-6 months of rent up front if you’re unemployed.

Shows you’re serious and have savings. Reduces their risk.

Hi guys, Happy New Year!

I think I am in trouble looking for a rental.

Initially, I messaged landlords being frank that I am now unemployed. I could get some replies from them. However, when I asked further what is their policy of early termination of lease, then I got ghosted. The early termination of lease is because I am looking for employment in the whole Canada.

How can I get a rental while being unemployed? Is this very difficult to do? I appreciate very much for any personal experiences or stories that you heard of. thanks
I will be frank and honest. This is very difficult. I wouldn’t personally rent to someone unemployed or on any form of income assistance because of the risks that are involved as a property owner - to which there are a variety.

If I got responses like that towards my unit I would politely reject the tenancy and I also understand why most wouldn’t waste their time with a response.

You’re going to have to find employment as soon as possible, and you’ll probably want to contact 311 and enquire about provincial assistance. I don’t believe the program is very robust though.

No. You need to have employment and employment for two years with most mortgage financiers and a strong credit score before they take a risk on lending.

If you have 25,000 up front I’m sure you could speak with a rental company about cash up front policies on a six month lease. Be aware if you do this and break the terms of your lease, you won’t likely recover your rent.

One of the good things about Edmonton is affordability. So, if you have some cash (or know someone who does) and can get by without mortgage, you can buy a modest condo here without being a millionaire.

Of course, you still need to be able to cover the monthly condo fees and taxes (which would probably be less than rent) but at least you have a decent place to live and don't need to worry about rent increases or picky landlords.

No. You need to have employment and employment for two years with most mortgage financiers and a strong credit score before they take a risk on lending.

If you have 25,000 up front I’m sure you could speak with a rental company about cash up front policies on a six month lease. Be aware if you do this and break the terms of your lease, you won’t likely recover your rent.
Not sure if I have used the phrase "lump sum" correctly in my previous message. For "lump sum" I meant if the apartment costs $100K, then I have $100K cash in my bank account and buy the apartment without mortgage. Just would like to confirm "lump sum" purchase of apartment is allowed in Canada.

Many rental companies I dealt with also accept bank statement with sufficient fund in lieu of employment. However, I have decided in live in Airbnb because I am not sure where my job will be.

One of the good things about Edmonton is affordability. So, if you have some cash (or know someone who does) and can get by without mortgage, you can buy a modest condo here without being a millionaire.

Of course, you still need to be able to cover the monthly condo fees and taxes (which would probably be less than rent) but at least you have a decent place to live and don't need to worry about rent increases or picky landlords.
Exactly, I think for a single person, $100K should be enough to secure a decent small apartment in Edmonton.

As to condo fee, it has a large variation but normally ranges from $300-800/month.

Tax is property tax, right? Any other tax?

Back