News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

It's not a bad place to be, but needs to look in the mirror a little more often from a competitiveness, attractiveness and desirability standpoint and work on those. I wish I could find that article for it spoke to supply, demand, home prices and overall market perception.

I'd love to see retention of new grads, post-grads, PhDs.

I'd also like to see the influx and outgoing wealth/capital dollars of individuals and families.

The Five Social Inequities that Urban Planning Contributes to and How to Address Them

Edmonton could see a boom in multifamily housing projects in the coming years to meet the city’s expected population growth, developers say.

An advantage we have going for us is literally anywhere in B.C. … you can’t afford to live there; GTA the same thing.”

CMHC echoed those expectations, citing “stronger migration patterns and economic conditions” in Alberta.

Yes, and some of you laughed and pooh-poohed when I said that Edmonton would be a strong condo market moving into this year.
My turn to chuckle now. Here's something for you to eat -- Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 12.31.30 PM.png
😜

Last edited:
Yes, and some of you laughed and pooh-poohed when I said that Edmonton would be a strong condo market moving into this year.
My turn to chuckle now. Here's something for you to eat -- View attachment 396910
😜
God I hope so. I learned so much about investing by purchasing my condo in Edmonton - in 2014 - 2 weeks before being laid off - at the beginning of a 6 year recession. 😂

^^^^ Read it again...
"The most recent numbers from the Realtors Association of Edmonton show that anticipated growth may already be happening.
Condo unit sales increased by far the most of any kind of housing measured over the past 12 months. Sales of condo units grew by 67.1 per cent over the past year, compared to 21 per cent for single-family homes and 54 per cent for duplex rowhouse units.
Condo sales were up 62.9 per cent in March from February 2022, also the largest monthly increase of the three categories of housing."
quoted from the article in question -- my emphasis.

^^^^ Read it again...
"The most recent numbers from the Realtors Association of Edmonton show that anticipated growth may already be happening.
Condo unit sales increased by far the most of any kind of housing measured over the past 12 months. Sales of condo units grew by 67.1 per cent over the past year, compared to 21 per cent for single-family homes and 54 per cent for duplex rowhouse units.
Condo sales were up 62.9 per cent in March from February 2022, also the largest monthly increase of the three categories of housing."
quoted from the article in question -- my emphasis.
Still haven't seen a new downtown condo project started in a long time. Falcon despite ~30% presold was converted to rental.

^ that's true. but there's a looooott of older stock (1960s-1990s) that owners have been sitting on, sometimes with units empty, that could start selling, and for higher prices. it'll take time for new projects to pivot back to condo, and it'll take prices climbing consistently for a sustained period for developers to be convinced to make the switch.
i think the 'boom' described will be mostly existing stock. new condos in DT are a ways off, you have a point there.

From the St Albert region. Is the real Estate Market heated up, hmmmm

Neighbor put their house up last Thursday. Asked 540,000. most of us thought that was to high and wanted to see how long it would take. ( the last home on our crescent went for 495,000 last fall and another one street over went for considerable less). House on my side of the crescent back onto a ravine so we have slightly larger yards. Homes were built about 1974. A lot of them don't have garages. or if they do they take up most of the yard. Neighbor updated the kitchen and bathroom. No work outdoors.

Anyway the house sign went up Thursday afternoon. Saturday evening the sold sign was on. sale price 605,000. Blew everyone away.

Yup, the market is a sellers market.

We bought our place for 460,000 last year and my cousin, who's our realtor, said if we wanted to sell, we could easily get $600,000+ for it. The market is hot if you are selling right now.

Yup, the market is a sellers market.

We bought our place for 460,000 last year and my cousin, who's our realtor, said if we wanted to sell, we could easily get $600,000+ for it. The market is hot if you are selling right now.
But where to go. And I could never find a yard like mine now. Unless it was an acreage

Back