News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

I wonder if it'll be mall-based or a standalone box store?
My money is on the old Saks location. I don't think there is much of a chance it will be downtown unless there is a 15,000 sq ft spot. 15K is the average size of L.L. Bean though the Saks building is 31K.

Did anyone see the article about how Edmonton is second only to the murder capital of the US (St. Louis) as the most affordable larger city? That we should celebrate this fact and that it is somehow indicative of a positive direction going forward...

Folks know why certain places are expensive and others are not, right?

*shakes head*

Did anyone see the article about how Edmonton is second only to the murder capital of the US (St. Louis) as the most affordable larger city? That we should celebrate this fact and that it is somehow indicative of a positive direction going forward...

*shakes head*
Maybe you should post a link to the article?

It said that St. Louis and Edmonton were the most affordable major cities in N.A. and shared how that is a very positive thing for them. I'm not so sure, that's all.

It said that St. Louis and Edmonton were the most affordable major cities in N.A. and shared how that is a very positive thing for them. I'm not so sure, that's all.
During a housing crisis it sure is. A lot of the crazy housing markets are caused by some combination of land scarcity and self-inflicted housing shortages (zoning, parking minimums, etc).

We have neither of those things nowadays, which is pretty damn commendable imo.

*shakes head*

Okay... what point exactly are you trying to make? Without context it kinda sounds like you're saying that the reason why places are more affordable is because of crime and undesirability, therefore affordability is a bad thing and restrictive housing costs make a city safer. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm not, Ian... you know that's not true.

Well with the housing prices going up here in Edmonton becoming a homeowner in for people my age is starting to become unattainable. The house my wife and I bought in 2021 is selling for $170,000 more than we originally paid. Granted the material cost has gone up but demand from out of province buyers has driven the prices up quite a bit.

Last edited:
Okay... what point exactly are you trying to make? Without context it kinda sounds like you're saying that the reason why places are more affordable is because of crime and undesirability, therefore affordability is a bad thing and restrictive housing costs make a city safer. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm not, Ian... you know that's not true.
Point being that a variety of inputs determine a city's desirability and while we led the country in growth for a couple of years, we still face a real challenge when it comes to the investment market, perception, safety and improving our winter experiences/offerings that ensure people remain in the city longer-term.

Point being that a variety of inputs determine a city's desirability and while we led the country in growth for a couple of years, we still face a real challenge when it comes to the investment market, perception, safety and improving our winter experiences/offerings that ensure people remain in the city longer-term.

Wasn't there a report recently shared on this site that said Edmonton had one of the best retention rates of all Canadian cities among new immigrants?

Oh yes, here it is. Immigrants don't account for everyone, but you gotta admit it means something.

Back