News   Apr 03, 2020
 8.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

With all the tax changes over the last few years targeted at this (higher capital gains rates, restrictions on claiming capital gains and principal residence exemptions ...) the Canada Revenue will also be very happy about this!
Surely raising the breakeven profit point of home flipping could never result in higher prices when the home is re-listed. Affordability is important, and self-regulated prices on inelastic goods works every time.

Surely raising the breakeven profit point of home flipping could never result in higher prices when the home is re-listed. Affordability is important, and self-regulated prices on inelastic goods works every time.
Yes, but those tax changes mostly just apply to them. Flippers are also competing against other sellers who have still have more favourable tax treatment.

With all the tax changes over the last few years targeted at this (higher capital gains rates, restrictions on claiming capital gains and principal residence exemptions ...) the Canada Revenue will also be very happy about this!
So will the province's bottom line benefit - and they benefit without expending any political capital, unlike the feds.

Yes, the province is along for the ride by default. It would probably be more complicated than what it is worth to opt out.

But I really doubt much political capital has been spent taxing property speculators like other businesses.

From Taproot:

Echoing discussions from this forum. I'm not sure how well-founded the argument is, as typically vagrancy happens in retail areas and not in suburbs. I would certainly be concerned if I were a business owner with assets in the industrial area though.
Typical fear mongering, everyone knows we can't keep those services concentrated in Chinatown and need to spread them out, so when the GOA finds a less central location, the NIMBYs come out. Classic. I guarantee there would be more pushback against this location if it was in a residential area versus industrial, even though the Dovercourt people are saying an industrial location isn't appropriate.

No one wants a shelter to move in nearby, but they need to go somewhere,

Typical fear mongering, everyone knows we can't keep those services concentrated in Chinatown and need to spread them out, so when the GOA finds a less central location, the NIMBYs come out. Classic. I guarantee there would be more pushback against this location if it was in a residential area versus industrial, even though the Dovercourt people are saying an industrial location isn't appropriate.

I agree, and as previously mentioned by another person the separation of people in crisis from high-stress areas like the downtown core can be good for everyone. The new zoning bylaw allows shelters to be built in neighborhoods, so it sure could be a lot worse for Dovercourt residents.

I don't live anywhere near there, so I don't have strong feelings based on that but I'm not sure trying to portray this just as a NIMBY is fair or accurate.

I am very concerned how putting people in such an area with fewer services nearby could be very isolating and may be an unintentional (or maybe even an intentional) to ghettoize them. You know out of sight, out of mind.

I do agree the brunt has been borne by areas like Chinatown, but interestingly when a more suburban area is proposed it certainly isn't a better off one. Dovercourt sure isn't Glenora, maybe those putting this forward thought they would be more of a push over.

IMG_2147.png

Back