News   Apr 03, 2020
 8.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Edmonton Real Estate Market

Will the same traffic disruptions negatively impact the downtown apartment rental market as well?
Highly unlikely. Dealing with constant construction disruptions, dirt, mud and dust in new communities doesn't stop many people from moving there. Construction is temporary. Most people have other priorities that inform their decision where to live and I'll bet that 'construction' isn't really in their top 5.

Seems to be fairly good news here now for almost everyone, prices are going up steadily, but not too much

Edmonton new homes activity ramps up amid strong demand for housing​

Overall I would agree that this is good for the market, but I would flag that the "strong demand" is only mostly local. Per Canadian Real Estate Association stats, the home purchase inquiries in Edmonton come from:

980,000 Alberta
152,000 British Columbia
58,000 Ontario

Investor interest is good for sellers, but I imagine some buyers are annoyed about being out-bid by interprovincial buyers. Especially when many home purchases and the resultant price increases are used for money laundering, particularly in the drug trade. From OCCRP:

A British Columbia government expert panel estimated in 2019 that more than CA$7 billion in dirty money was laundered in the province in the previous year alone. As much as CA$5.3 billion of that was laundered through real estate, causing housing prices to increase about 5 percent.

I'm not sure if the demand being supposedly being mostly local is a good thing or not. The Alberta numbers probably includes a number of out of town buyers that I wouldn't consider local.

Also, I don't feel we should stigmatize Ontario or BC buyers as laundering money, in reality most are either looking to relocate or for good investment opportunities.

I had it brought up to me today that the Alberta Building Code requires secondary suites to have a separate heating system. Does anyone know if furnaces that have zone control (separate thermostats, shared furnace) qualify as "separate" systems?
Back when I put my basement suite in in 2014, zone controls were not acceptable. It had to be a completely separate heating system (I went 2nd furnace, but baseboards or radiators were acceptable too)

Back when I put my basement suite in in 2014, zone controls were not acceptable. It had to be a completely separate heating system (I went 2nd furnace, but baseboards or radiators were acceptable too)
I reached out to the province to find out for sure. They responded saying that shared furnaces can be made code-compliant, as long as the furnace is enclosed in a room with adequate fire protection and the air duct system is not interconnected with the other dwelling units (assuming it's approved by the local AHJ).

Mystery solved.

I reached out to the province to find out for sure. They responded saying that shared furnaces can be made code-compliant, as long as the furnace is enclosed in a room with adequate fire protection and the air duct system is not interconnected with the other dwelling units (assuming it's approved by the local AHJ).

Mystery solved.
I'm pretty sure that "as long as the furnace is enclosed in a room with adequate fire protection and the air duct system is not interconnected with the other dwelling units" would be more expensive than simply providing a separate furnace (or electric baseboard hearing) even if you could get that assumed approval from the local AHJ...

I'm pretty sure that "as long as the furnace is enclosed in a room with adequate fire protection and the air duct system is not interconnected with the other dwelling units" would be more expensive than simply providing a separate furnace (or electric baseboard hearing) even if you could get that assumed approval from the local AHJ...
Agreed - but a separate furnace would still need a non-interconnected air duct system.

I'm pretty sure a two unit, two furnace system would have no need to be interconnected...
Yes, which means you would need to build another air duct system that's completely detached. Both furnaces would also still need the same fire protection as one multi-zone furnace system.

Baseboard heating with forced air is absolutely cheaper to install, but it also racks up massive utility bills. I'm not sure there's a best solution.

Yes, which means you would need to build another air duct system that's completely detached. Both furnaces would also still need the same fire protection as one multi-zone furnace system.

Baseboard heating with forced air is absolutely cheaper to install, but it also racks up massive utility bills. I'm not sure there's a best solution.
I'm not sure that the total amount of ductwork in the two completely detached systems would be more than the ductwork required for a split system and may even be less.

I'm also not sure that the "same fire protection as" would be more expensive as a small furnace in a utility room with the hotwater tank likely wouldn't be drastically larger than what would be required for the tank alone and would utilize the same door (assuming of course that the unit would have independent hot water and laundry).

$12million home listing

Gotta be one of the most expensive ever for Edmonton?

Back