Raymond Block | ?m | 6s | Wexford Developments | DIALOG

What do you think of the design of Raymond Block?

• I like it a lot

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • I like it

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • I neither like nor dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it

• I dislike it a lot

• Total voters
20181123_121529.jpg
20181123_121505.jpg

Attachments

• 20181123_121505.jpg
    20181123_121505.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 404
I love the use of Euro-style and indented balconies on the apartment buildings (more practical), the narrow store frontages for retail/hospitality, and the mix of materials. The scale, which in early construction stages seemed gargantuan, now seems to fit well with the rest of Whyte Avenue historical structures, partly due to the placement of cornices and partly due to the vertical facade break-up with fenestration. A great deal of attention has been paid to lighting.

^
Some back alley views of |Raymond.
I feel it will turn out fairly good. A mix of stucco, big glass, and utility.
I had a chuckle over the plethora of alleyway utility lines overhead within arms reach (visually) .
That massive Cidex proposal due south (potentially) will block the view anyways.

@Kaizen this is where the City could push its influence to get the electric utility company to put these power lines underground that in conjunction with improving the pedestrian viability of alleys. Excellent photos!

Yes, @Daveography, but as the draw on power keeps increasing due to densification and use changes, it makes sense for the utilities to move to a "future" setting. For example, this one project (I'm guessing) probably required the utility to go from a 600 amp step-down transformer to one (or more) that can handle over 20,000 amps. Adding service lines which are very inefficient delivery systems (power leakage) leads to this huge branch of service lines. Underground enables the company to better insulate distribution lines against power loss through leakage, go to a higher volt-amp configuration and, thereby, save money in the long term. This could be a coordinated effort between City, Utility and individual developers. Imagine what is going to happen to the power grid requirements when the three big build-outs in this area -- Cidex, SouthPark, and the project south of the Post Office Building -- all come on stream.

Back