Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sorry - poor quality but you get the picture.😁

Screenshot_20230101-130611_Messages.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230101-130611_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230101-130611_Messages.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 49
To be clear, I love this building, but it is fun to play spot the differences with the rendering.

If anything, it shows that cost cutting doesn't necessarily have to lead to a less attractive product. For example, the two rows of "X"s vs one built, the removal of the juliette balconies and the beams on the cornice, and the brick being half the height of the renders. The renders definitely looks better imo, but it still has all the same key elements that makes the building look great.

1673649487382.png

To be clear, I love this building, but it is fun to play spot the differences with the rendering.

If anything, it shows that cost cutting doesn't necessarily have to lead to a less attractive product. For example, the two rows of "X"s vs one built, the removal of the juliette balconies and the beams on the cornice, and the brick being half the height of the renders. The renders definitely looks better imo, but it still has all the same key elements that makes the building look great.

View attachment 450416
I was waiting for someone to point this out. I still wish the masonry went higher.

I was waiting for someone to point this out. I still wish the masonry went higher.
I generally agree with the sentiment overall. One of the few good things about Toronto, is they generally don't cheap out on brick. Its a noticeable Edmonton or western Canada thing.

Its particularly noticeable when the building next to you that you are trying to tie into is all brick. However, other than that I think it looks decent.

I generally agree with the sentiment overall. One of the few good things about Toronto, is they generally don't cheap out on brick. Its a noticeable Edmonton or western Canada thing.

Its particularly noticeable when the building next to you that you are trying to tie into is all brick. However, other than that I think it looks decent.
One factor in this would be costs, particularly labour. Masons' labour costs here are very high; brick can wind up being much more expensive to install than other cladding systems, despite using the same kind of support wall, membranes, etc (making it very easy to switch out for cheaper options late in the design process). From what i understand, masons are much more common in Ontario, and being a much more common, less unique trade, labour rates are much lower. Anecdotally, i've heard mason wages are around 2x as high here as they are in Ontario and eastern Canada. I've heard that's part of why it's so typical to see brick veneer over woodframe on every house in a new subdivision in Ontario, just as a default cladding, whereas here brick is only used as an accent, if at all.

Back