News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Oilers

Patrick Kane ends up signing with the Red Wings, 1 year at 2.75 m. Wow, I was way off on what teams were willing to pay for him. I think at this price it's a good thing the Oilers didn't go for him, and this will likely be seen largely as a mistake for the Wings. Considering how hard he's fallen off and his injury history I was assuming he'd be lucky to get 1 million $. Either way, we dodged a bullet here if this is what he was asking for.

Should have had a clear 2pts against Vegas, but I will take the shootout win.

71 with a few late giveaways.

McD looking amazing.

Terrible 3 on 3 by the Oil.

Should have had a clear 2pts against Vegas, but I will take the shootout win.

71 with a few late giveaways.

McD looking amazing.

Terrible 3 on 3 by the Oil.

Just to balance out your two negative comments and one positive one after a win over one of the best teams in the league,

Nice to see secondary scoring from Janmark and Gagner

And given the win, let's tip the scales to positive

Overall a strong performance by the Oilers

Patrick Kane ends up signing with the Red Wings, 1 year at 2.75 m. Wow, I was way off on what teams were willing to pay for him. I think at this price it's a good thing the Oilers didn't go for him, and this will likely be seen largely as a mistake for the Wings. Considering how hard he's fallen off and his injury history I was assuming he'd be lucky to get 1 million $. Either way, we dodged a bullet here if this is what he was asking for.
Valid point. He doesn't have enough gas left in the tank to command that price. He's more than seven years off his single Art Ross Trophy.

He (McLeod) proved all of us wrong and I'm glad he did. Also glad the coach felt he would!

Oilers win 3-1 against the Jets, we stuck with it all night and continued to pressure until Nurse broke through with our first goal 53 minutes into the hockey game, didn't look back after that. Skinner had his best game of the season, stopped every dangerous opportunity he had a chance on, but there weren't all that many, another stellar game for the Oilers who dominated 5v5 play. Thats 4 wins in a row, we are starting to near .500. Well deserved 5 day break coming up leading into a 6 game home-stand.

I was very worried about getting Hellebuycked in this game. The Oilers played a full 60 minutes and were the best team throughout. Skinner played well, the defense (particularly Nurse) was very strong. Bouchard played an excellent game as well. Hopefully that empty netter puts McCleod on a path to being the player we've become used to as a really good 3c over the past few seasons. The Oilers deserved this game and they won it. You also cannot convince me the Jets commited only 2 infractions the whole game. I counted several hooks and slahes on McDavid alone that went uncalled. Jets fans were whining about the "hit" on Morrisey, that to me looked like an incidental collision with Janmark and Morrisey also dove, adding a little leg kick at the end for extra effect.

Great win and I think we can officially say: The Oilers are back!!!

Oilers Nation recently put out an article going over some potential trade targets. The main one they talked about was Nick Seeler from the Flyers, however another Flyers D they mentioned that I think they should go after is Sean Walker, who has proven himself to be a consistent bottom-4 two-way defense man who's a right shot which is exactly the type of player that would help the Oilers on the blue line. He was a great in his role in LA and has really come into his own in Philly, playing on their second pairing with the aforementioned Nick Seeler. Desharnais has looked a lot better in recent games but still, at his best he is a bottom pairing physical defenseman. At his worst he's barely a fringe NHLer, it's clear an upgrade is necessary on 3rd pairing right handed D and Sean Walker would fill that role beautifully.

Earlier in the season I thought that Sean Durzi on Arizona would be an excellent addition, but I think he's outpriced the Oilers at this point and I don't see the Coyotes selling significant assets given that at this point they seem to be a very competitive team that is definitely in the hunt for a wildcard spot.

Vincent Desharnais is a towering guy who can defend and fight, and the Oilers need someone like that. Plus who doesn't love his post-victory celebrations with Stu? The only thing is he becomes a UFA after this season.

Vincent Desharnais is a towering guy who can defend and fight, and the Oilers need someone like that. Plus who doesn't love his post-victory celebrations with Stu? The only thing is he becomes a UFA after this season.
He's effective on the PK because of his long reach for blocking passes but is simply not very good everywhere else. People like to clown on Bouchard for defensive zone turnovers but Desharnais puts him to shame (it's just noticed with Bouch more because he gets ore ice-time and people already have a reconceived notion that he's bad defensively). Often when he gets pressured in the D-zone he just flips the puck up the boards blindly which more often than not it results in a chance against. I think we get too enamored with his size, big defensemen are certainly helpful but if they aren't effective players, they're not worth it.

He's been playing better lately and the last 3-4 games I would agree with you but he can't be that defenseman consistently enough to fill a 3rd pairing spot on a contending team. Sean Walker however can:

He's currently rocking 4g - 7a - 11pts while putting up solid defensive numbers. He's a perfect partner for Kulak in that position as well, and likely wouldn't cost a kings ransom to get (I'm thinking 1st round pick and Broberg, maybe add on a 3rd or 4th for some salary retention). I expect Philly to sell at the deadline despite playing relatively well so far this season (surprisingly) as they simply aren't good enough to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference having to compete with Detroit, Toronto, Tampa Bay the Islanders etc for the wild card spot. I also expect Ottawa to get in the mix when they finally decide to fire DJ Smith.

Back