Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

So looking at some of the documents the 109st realignment should be partially completed this year?Are there any finalished renders for the two new stations? Is there any NAIT campus development projects close to the future NAIT station planned or underway?

This video shows the preliminary design. I’m sure the stations will be close to what’s shown.

Taken October 7, 2020
20201007_141750.jpg
20201007_141731.jpg
Both pictures taken from the armoury parking lot. These shots are looking at the location of the future NAIT Blatchford Market station according to the LRT video issued by the city of Edmonton.
Screenshot_20201007-143509_Chrome.jpg
This is a screenshot from the video.

Headline is a bit sensationalized, but definitely read the article.

Normally I wouldn't be as concerned about vehicle traffic issues, but this intersection is also terrible for people on foot, bike, etc. as well. Definitely needs a major rethink.

Looking forward to Part 2 to hear what the city might be doing to ameliorate the problems.

Oh boy, this topic really gets me fired up.

I genuinely have tried hard to think about the designer's, planner's, engineer's and modeler's mindsets when they designed this section of the line (111th/Kingsway Intersection and Kingsway/Royal Alex Station) and come to some sort of reasoning for the absolutely foolish decision they made to put it at-grade, but I just can't think of anything other than the city wanting to cheap out on this line as much as they thought was acceptable. If this is the case, then they went too far for this simple fact: You have 2 very busy roads and 1 moderately busy road all meeting at one pinch point, an intersection that will already experience increasing traffic issues as time goes on, and they choose to do what? Throw an at-grade LRT into the mix? Why?? There was every reason to put specifically this section elevated AT LEAST. And now what do we have, a traffic model that THE CITY LITERALLY COMISSIONED which shows 10-block backups and a "failing" intersection. Give me a break. WHY didn't they built it grade separated in the first place then, eh? I wish dearly that I could've spoken at council meetings when they were designing the line, but I couldn't have, since I was like 5 or 6 years old at the time 😆

Ugh, I could keep going, but I'll just list the reasons as to why this area should be elevated in the future (maybe even as soon as construction on Metro Line NW):

1: Would make the operation of the LRT in that section and the Metro Line as a whole a f**k ton easier (maybe could've avoided having to remove Thales if this was done in the first place).
2: Could easily and safely achieve the 5-minute headway.
3: There is more than adequate room on either side to make approaches from the ground to an elevated station.
4: Could create a pedway access across the intersection to the Kingsway parking lot, heavily reducing the literal danger that pedestrians and other non-vehicle commuters have to face when crossing the massive 111th/Kingsway intersection.
5: Could create another pedway linking directly into the Royal Alex, making the movement for patients and visitors between the hospital and station much more comfortable (especially during the winter months)

And finally 6, the pièce de résistance: Not adding 10 fold to the traffic congestion already present at this intersection, now and in the future, and making it faster and more efficient for bus commuters to access this area.

But yeah, I'm also looking forward to hearing the city's answer to this inquiry, and if any of you guys can explain why the line was designed the way it was then I'd be happy to hear it.

Those intersections are bad. I've timed it a few times, it is as fast to get to the foodcourt in kingsway by riding through to NAIT rather than waiting for those lights. it's brutal and (i'm clearly not a traffic engineer) but the timing seems overly pessimistic, and the light resets oddly. I bet the timing could be improved to the benefit of everyone trying to get across. I know the idea of grade separation has been floated, although i think the line needs to make it to St Albert before that cost is justifiable imo.
That being said. Global likes doing this kind of story. they did one a year or two ago about 'lead in Canada's water pipes'; stoking up foment about unsafe water pipes, including in Edmonton, as highlighted by some local stories. the fact that Epcor and the City had been aware of the issue, had a program to replace lead supply lines to homes that had been running for years, were offering testing to homeowners, and new water mains were being rolled out as fast as possible, got next to no print. They're making themselves a story. we knew there were traffic issues here. it's bad, but there are plans to work through it. this didn't need to be 'exposed'
Thank you for reading my rant 😁😁

edit: I agree with elevating the line in concept, it will be needed at some point. the planning for this line was a bit odd. They had a major win with the Epcor Tower arrangement though. If i remember correctly, this is the first part of the network to be built that wasn't part of the original (1980's ish) construction, ie no ancient master plan to dust off and reference. elevating is a good solution, but expensive. we'll see if the political will is there. OR. traffic on the cross-streets subsides to avoid the pinch point and the situation isn't as dire. idk.

Last edited:
Well the problem now I see is that in order to elevate the tracks the would have to start elevating at the straightaway along the victoria school field and the to properly avoid all the current problems the should only return the track to grade starting at where the current temporary NAIT station is located to then meet the future NAIT Blatchford Market station.

@Edmcowboy11 Why is that a problem? the track could start going up right after the 108th ave crossing and level out somewhere in the middle of the field, leaving enough room to possibly retain the switch in a similar location in between MacEwan and Kingsway stations. I believe that the intersection by NAIT isn't nearly as much of an issue here and It'd be fine as a surface crossing for the time being, but if the city wants to be extra future proof they could continue and elevated guideway over that intersection also (but fixing Kingsway takes precedent over everything).

^^The reason its a problem is cause it will cost the city tons of money to fix. Otherwise I'd love for them to fix it.
Oh and regarding safe pedestrian crossing, all that we have to do is look at what the city of Calgary built over McLeod trail at Chinook center.

I think one minor change the city could make (short-term) is having a scramble intersection at Kingsway/111/106. The pedestrian signal counts down for about 40 seconds at Kingsway/111. This would allow pedestrians to cross from the LRT to Kingsway Mall, while speeding up other traffic.

Back