Metro 78 | 23m | 6s | Pinto Properties | Frank Hilbich

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It started well butwere mixed feelings about our ask for more building height and floor area ratio as trade off for the amenities the developer is willing to built to implement the vision in the ARP.

But our ARP amendment is not just about more development rights. We think this location is truly special and deserves something that stands out from other developments in the area. Some people don’t think a green spine along the shared-use path, a new walkable lane and public plaza 50 meters from the LRT station are amenities.

It is a course correction in the ARP. All we are looking for is to restore the balance between the developer obligations (public amenities) and the reality of infill development.

@Marcolangzi, these are always tough fights (especially in single family areas) -- I recommend sticking with it; you have a solid concept and as long as you are prepared to establish an MOU to underscore your development points you should be able to prevail. In my experience when you concede an inch the "other side" will be emboldened to ask for a foot (and then an arm and a leg). If you believe in your development and the quality therein, stay the course.

OOOOOOOF. big oooof. I've been watching this thread/project for a while now, as i see parallels between this situation and the one my own neighbourhood of Westmount is entering into. A lot of the ARPs in central Edmonton are designed to keep neighbourhoods more or less the same, and it creates a combaitve atmosphere when it comes to the densification which is pretty much inevitable in these areas. Irony of the Mckernan Station having been put in at the request of the neighbourhood which is now opposing the TOD the Station was built to enable aside, I really wish and hope that the conversation becomes more positive and pragmatic. The opportunities for pedestrian, neighbourly, people-oriented density are better here than almost anywhere else in the city. I don't know exactly how to feel about the proposal since i don't live there, but the amenities proposed (not to mention, 6 stories is still fairly low-rise given how close this is to the train) look like a good trade. I really hope the conversation moves past floor count.

OOOOOOOF. big oooof. I've been watching this thread/project for a while now, as i see parallels between this situation and the one my own neighbourhood of Westmount is entering into. A lot of the ARPs in central Edmonton are designed to keep neighbourhoods more or less the same, and it creates a combaitve atmosphere when it comes to the densification which is pretty much inevitable in these areas. Irony of the Mckernan Station having been put in at the request of the neighbourhood which is now opposing the TOD the Station was built to enable aside, I really wish and hope that the conversation becomes more positive and pragmatic. The opportunities for pedestrian, neighbourly, people-oriented density are better here than almost anywhere else in the city. I don't know exactly how to feel about the proposal since i don't live there, but the amenities proposed (not to mention, 6 stories is still fairly low-rise given how close this is to the train) look like a good trade. I really hope the conversation moves past floor count.
The ARP is relatively new (2014) and has a bold vision for University Avenue and 114 Street corridors. However, the nuts and bolts for implementation are not quite there. The Plan neither identifies neither quantifies the funds to implement the vision. It limits to refer to Neighbourhood Renewal (City) or developers.

This developer is ready to contribute his share.

I’m confident that as the engagement process advance people will see the value of this project.

We’ve created a project website to keep all the information about the rezoning and engagement activities in one place.

The next event is up and open to the public:

Back