Metro 78 | 23m | 6s | Pinto Properties | Frank Hilbich

What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Great chatting with you today @Marcolangzi, this is a very exciting project.

Not to leave the rest of the Forum hanging, here's a few notes before more information and images goes public:
  • Developer is Pinto Properties, they are new to the development scene (but have experience in real estate)
  • Precision Engineering is providing structural engineering services
  • Buildings will be rentals, targeting ~$1100 to $2300/mo
  • Requires a DC2 Rezoning
  • Height has been increased to 6 storeys each*, with the top two floors stepped back
  • About 71 units, 11 of which will be family-oriented
  • Frank Hilbich is still the architect
    • Design has been refined and looks pretty good IMO
  • The active frontage will face the MUP and LRT tracks, and a new lane created in behind
    • This is actually part of the vision of the current ARP, to see the existing lots directly adjacent to the line to be consolidated and reoriented in this way
  • A public plaza will be created at the end of 78 Avenue, and the goal is to have it connect directly across the tracks (for non-vehicular transportation) to help reconnect Belgravia and McKernan (the current LRT crossing is about half a block south)
  • There will be zero resident vehicle parking, only some visitor and car share stalls
  • Secure bike parking will be about a 1:1 ratio per unit, located at grade or below with elevator access
  • Tenants will be able to get subsidized transit passes for at least 10 years
  • Amenities to include a children's play area, gym, and rooftop patios with barbecues
* The reason for the height and unit increase is apparently the city will require water upgrades to enable these kinds of developments (as envisioned by the ARP) to proceed. The city has a fund for cost sharing, but it has already been exhausted for the year, so the developer needs the added units to cover the entire cost of the upgrade. This raises an interesting conversation about how the city expects to meet its infill density goals if it is saddling the cost of infrastructure upgrades onto developers, but I suppose if they are willing to allow more density in exchange it balances out, but still seems like an onerous process to have to go through.

I'm impressed with the vision the developer has for this and their future projects, and felt very encouraged after speaking with them. Edmonton definitely needs more developers who really understand the importance of good urban design, architecture, and active transportation.

Awesome info. Great to see a new developer putting so much effort into making something decent.

Pretty disappointing about the extra 2 floor situation. The difference between 4 & 6 storeys is huge - I imagine they'll get quite a bit more push back from the neighbours on a 6 storey proposal than a 4 storey even with some sort of step back.

@Hugh Jazz And that to me is the sticky part about putting it on developers to cover the cost of infrastructure upgrades contingent on adding more density that forces a rezone and ARP update. It seems like such a flimsy process with too many potential points of failure, just to achieve what the city says it wants.

Awesome info. Great to see a new developer putting so much effort into making something decent.

Pretty disappointing about the extra 2 floor situation. The difference between 4 & 6 storeys is huge - I imagine they'll get quite a bit more push back from the neighbours on a 6 storey proposal than a 4 storey even with some sort of step back.

The sun shadow and wind impact studies demonstrate that the impacts of a 6- vs. a 4-storey building is negligible. Setacks and stepbacks are larger than the Zoning Bylaw requires for RA8/RA9 developments.

Great chatting with you today @Marcolangzi, this is a very exciting project.

Not to leave the rest of the Forum hanging, here's a few notes before more information and images goes public:
  • Developer is Pinto Properties, they are new to the development scene (but have experience in real estate)
  • Precision Engineering is providing structural engineering services
  • Buildings will be rentals, targeting ~$1100 to $2300/mo
  • Requires a DC2 Rezoning
  • Height has been increased to 6 storeys each*, with the top two floors stepped back
  • About 71 units, 11 of which will be family-oriented
  • Frank Hilbich is still the architect
    • Design has been refined and looks pretty good IMO
  • The active frontage will face the MUP and LRT tracks, and a new lane created in behind
    • This is actually part of the vision of the current ARP, to see the existing lots directly adjacent to the line to be consolidated and reoriented in this way
  • A public plaza will be created at the end of 78 Avenue, and the goal is to have it connect directly across the tracks (for non-vehicular transportation) to help reconnect Belgravia and McKernan (the current LRT crossing is about half a block south)
  • There will be zero resident vehicle parking, only some visitor and car share stalls
  • Secure bike parking will be about a 1:1 ratio per unit, located at grade or below with elevator access
  • Tenants will be able to get subsidized transit passes for at least 10 years
  • Amenities to include a children's play area, gym, and rooftop patios with barbecues
* The reason for the height and unit increase is apparently the city will require water upgrades to enable these kinds of developments (as envisioned by the ARP) to proceed. The city has a fund for cost sharing, but it has already been exhausted for the year, so the developer needs the added units to cover the entire cost of the upgrade. This raises an interesting conversation about how the city expects to meet its infill density goals if it is saddling the cost of infrastructure upgrades onto developers, but I suppose if they are willing to allow more density in exchange it balances out, but still seems like an onerous process to have to go through.

I'm impressed with the vision the developer has for this and their future projects, and felt very encouraged after speaking with them. Edmonton definitely needs more developers who really understand the importance of good urban design, architecture, and active transportation.
There will be 71 units per building - total of 142 units.

The sun shadow and wind impact studies demonstrate that the impacts of a 6- vs. a 4-storey building is negligible. Setacks and stepbacks are larger than the Zoning Bylaw requires for RA8/RA9 developments.

That's encouraging - still quite a visual difference between 4 & 6. I don't think there's anything else in the neighbourhood that's 6 storeys, so I'm sure the NIMBYs will be quick to point that out regardless. I'll be very interested to see some new drawings/renders/whatever for the 6 storey version.

That's encouraging - still quite a visual difference between 4 & 6. I don't think there's anything else in the neighbourhood that's 6 storeys, so I'm sure the NIMBYs will be quick to point that out regardless. I'll be very interested to see some new drawings/renders/whatever for the 6 storey version.
It's coming as soon as the application is resubmitted to the City. Dave (https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/forum/members/daveography.64662/) will receive the renderings before the end of the week.

DC2 images 3.jpg

DC2 images 1.jpgDC2 images 3.jpgDC2 images 5b.jpgDC2 images 7.jpg

Me Likey! 😃 Nice design, a few steps from and LRT station AND on a shared use path?? Triple threat right here.

Back