J22 | 46.02m | 13s | Pangman | DIALOG

You can have stop-and-shop grocery stores that are from major chains. You'll find Carrefour all over France and most of their Marseille, Lyon and Paris locations will be small, urban stores. Same with Aldi in Germany, Pão de Açúcar in Brazil, etc...
But I would love to see some local stores and all, here. I'm actually super happy Freson Bros. opened a location in Edmonton.
I mean both big in scope & brand and like,(relatively) physically big too! I still like the new location but I'm just sayin that.

I mean both big in scope & brand and like,(relatively) physically big too! I still like the new location but I'm just sayin that.
I don't disagree, but I'm not sure Edmonton is ready to have a grocery store with less than 20k sq.ft. , sadly! At least it is fronting a (relatively) high foot traffic area on a dense and walkable neighborhood. Should make for a good thing for the area, get even more people walking around and, hopefully, will help generate traffic for other stores in the region (the CRUs on McLaren, Jasper 123, CNIB, Pearl, and Pinnacle, especially, should benefit from it, at some point).
I really wish that CWB branch on the same podium as this Safeway was something else, with more foot traffic and street interaction, though.

Yeah, definitely don't need another bank there - so many on Jasper Ave, unlike say Oliver Square. As the old saying goes, its become so busy, nobody goes there anymore. :rolleyes:

Hopefully a grocery store will help make the area more walkable, instead of everyone having to go to Oliver Square .which is further for those south of or close to Jasper Ave.

When is this park of jasper getting "reimagined"? Badly needs better sidewalks to be more walkable and to feel safer from jasper.
If calculations are correct, between 2025 and 2026, considering that they're doing 5 block stretches from 109 st, each side at a time, starting last year. The north sidewalks, between 119 St and 124 St will be at least decent, considering the new buildings and everything going on, the south sidewalk, on the other hand, is in really bad shape with no improvements on sight between 120 St and 124 St;

When is this park of jasper getting "reimagined"? Badly needs better sidewalks to be more walkable and to feel safer from jasper.

I need to disagree here. I walk these sidewalks regularly and I have no issues, and have to say I am completely underwhelmed by the final product just west of 109th.

I would prioritize incentives to get the kind of businesses people want to walk to here over the infrastructure project. Maybe it's just me though!

I need to disagree here. I walk these sidewalks regularly and I have no issues, and have to say I am completely underwhelmed by the final product just west of 109th.

I would prioritize incentives to get the kind of businesses people want to walk to here over the infrastructure project. Maybe it's just me though!
As I said, the south side of jasper, especially between 121 St and 114 St is in really bad bad shape, at some points (the bus stop on Jasper and 121 almost gave me a twisted ankle the other day), but its far from being a priority.

^^^^ It is not just you! There is no end-game in this effort other than Planning memes. There is no utopia without "you" - the Planning dept. designs in a vacuum and then supports that design in a boardroom-like confirmation (entirely backwards). The idea here is so difficult to get across. Community has to be designed as community with someone leading the way and you just don't get that in a bureaucratic "how about these beautiful 'planters and benches'" approach. If the City hires a consultant, the beanies should listen to and follow the results, not decide that they know better and wander off the theme. It is so-o-o-o-o-o-o frustrating!

Sure you can view a sidewalk as just some concrete meant for walking, but you kinda have to take the context of the area into account. IMO that particular sidewalk & streetscape (streetlights hung from a shoestring, etc.) wouldn't look out of place in a worn-down 1970's neighborhood but it does on Jasper Avenue, the main street of our city! Small, dusty and cracked sidewalks right beside zooming cars generally discourage walking AFAIK, and even though I think the new streetscaping isn't anything that special it's 10x better that what's there now

I mean... is "no issues" the bar? Just got back from a week in Vancouver and it left me both inspired and discouraged by how far behind we are. Their main streets, seawall...even average streets are better than 95% of ours. I'm not just after function. I want our sidewalks to have a sense of place on jasper. For people to want to be there, not just to use them to get from A to B.

Jasper is, in many ways, our most important street. Does it feel that way?

I mean, look at this sad picture...
Screenshot_20210324-214647_Instagram.jpg

I mean... is "no issues" the bar? Just got back from a week in Vancouver and it left me both inspired and discouraged by how far behind we are. Their main streets, seawall...even average streets are better than 95% of ours. I'm not just after function. I want our sidewalks to have a sense of place on jasper. For people to want to be there, not just to use them to get from A to B.

Jasper is, in many ways, our most important street. Does it feel that way?

I mean, look at this sad picture...View attachment 307898
That'd actually be a pretty cool picture if it were in higher quality! But yes I agree with what you're saying.

I don't disagree, but I'm not sure Edmonton is ready to have a grocery store with less than 20k sq.ft. , sadly! At least it is fronting a (relatively) high foot traffic area on a dense and walkable neighborhood. Should make for a good thing for the area, get even more people walking around and, hopefully, will help generate traffic for other stores in the region (the CRUs on McLaren, Jasper 123, CNIB, Pearl, and Pinnacle, especially, should benefit from it, at some point).
I really wish that CWB branch on the same podium as this Safeway was something else, with more foot traffic and street interaction, though.
We are ready for those smaller grocery stores, as we have some very successful ones - Italian Centre in Little Italy is an excellent example (less than 20,000 sq. ft. and always busy).

We are ready for those smaller grocery stores, as we have some very successful ones - Italian Centre in Little Italy is an excellent example (less than 20,000 sq. ft. and always busy).

I'm only 2 blocks away. This could potentially get a majority of my business. I like the Shoppers on 118 st for it's essentials, but it would be great to have a dedicated grocery store that I can walk to and not cross 104 ave to get to

Back